Saturday, May 31, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Saturday: May 31, 2014

Is it progress when you have your third bad night in a row but finally get a Game of the Day pick right? I guess that's progress. But I'm still fairly frustrated. Obviously, I am in a terrible rut and cannot seem to dig my way out of it. I had one 10-4 day on Tuesday, but starting with Memorial Day, on days other than Tuesday, I am 21-34. Unreal.
All I can do is keep plugging along. At least May is on its last day. That has to be good since the month has been so crappy for the picks. Oh, and I did an audit to make sure I have been doing the math correctly and found two more losses that I had to add to my season total. Lovely.
Saturday's picks:
  • The Nationals over the RangersDoug Fister has started the season with only one walk in 23+ innings. He has three straight very good appearances. He is going to lift these Nationals. Nick Tepesch has been pitching well too, but the Rangers lose a hitter in the lineup.
  • The Yankees over the Twins: The Yankees are making a habit of making lousy pitchers look good. They should be all over Kevin Correia, but will they be? How good will Masahiro Tanaka be finally getting a day game in nice weather?
  • The Blue Jays over the Royals: You have two young arms in this one. Aaron Brooks is making his first MLB start. He pitched once in relief and got hit hard. He is not a strikeout guy who has lately found some command in the last year or so. Marcus Stroman, on the other hand, is a big arm also making his first MLB start. So I'm going that way.
  • The White Sox over the Padres: This pick did not go well yesterday, but I am stubborn that way. Andre Rienzo has a good record and up and down performances. Tyson Ross looks great for one start and terrible on others. Bottom line? Anything can happen in this one.
  • The Indians over the RockiesTrevor Bauer has come into his own and is finally where he needs to be as a pitcher. Franklin Morales, on the other hand, has been abysmal. The Rockies on the road are not the same team.
  • The Cardinals over the Giants: I like Michael Wacha way more than I like Yusmeiro Petit. And look out world, here comes Oscar Taveras.
  • The Phillies over the MetsJacob deGrom has been very good but has been snake bit with no run support. Kyle Kendrick was great his last time out. The battle for last place continues.
  • The Braves over the Marlins: I haven't picked a visiting team to win yet, so this one looks the most likely. Jacob Turner doesn't thrill me and Ervin Santana will enjoy the bigger ballpark.
  • The Astros over the Orioles: Why the heck not!? Go Astros, go! Dallas Keuchel has been very good by throwing more strikes. Chris Tillman has been the O's best pitcher, but since his injury, has not thrown a good game.
  • The Brewers over the Cubs: The Brewers are back after scuffling a few weeks. The Cubs have gone back to not hitting. Jason Hammel is pitching for his next job and should be bested by Wily Peralta.
  • The Dodgers over the Pirates: I'm getting really nervous about picking all these home teams. But Hyun-jin Ryu is just to hard not to take at home. Brandon Cumpton is pretty good though.
  • The Red Sox over the Rays: If the Rays wanted to end up on the higher end of the moral story yesterday, they had to win. And they didn't. Thus, the Red Sox will feel like the martyrs and on the high side of the narrative. The Rays are a last place team and Jake Odorizzi is not helping. The Red Sox will win despite Rubby De La Rosa starting--a kid with a big arm and no idea where the ball is going. Oh, and I hate A.J. Pierzynski with pretty much all I am.
  • The Athletics over the Angels: The Angels are not going to do anything against the A's. I could see that from last night's game. Tommy Milone has rediscovered himself and is pitching really well. I like Tyler Skaggs too, but the A's are just too much.
  • The Reds over the Diamondbacks: For the second straight night, the Reds are going to take it to the D-backs behind Johnny CuetoBrandon McCarthy has a great Twitter account and a great wife, but he just can't seem to win.
And the Game of the Day
  • The Tigers over the Mariners: If Robinson Cano is out of the lineup, forget about it. Chris Young is tall, but throws as hard as me. The Emoticon, Drew Smyly has been awful, but watch him have a good game in this one.
Yesterday: 6-9, May: 213-198, Games of the Day: 26-30, Season: 446-372

No comments: