Saturday, June 28, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Saturday: June 28, 2014

By the time the first three games had been completed, the picks were already 0-3. And things only slightly improved after that. For example, I watched the Red Sox not able to do anything against Vidal Nuno and I was shocked. How did that happen?  The Tigers lost another game Justin Verlander pitched...again. He did pitch well though. The 1-10 Brandon McCarthy won! Now he is 2-10, but that was the wrong pick. And so it went.
I am a bit excited about one development though. Something like the last seven extra-inning games have gone my way. The tide has turned there somehow!
There are TWO double-headers today. That is seventeen games! Whow! Saturday's picks:
  • The Nationals over the Cubs: This is one of the double-headers. The Cubs will call up Dallas Beeler, the second Beeler to play in the MLB. The first one was Jodie who played one game in 1944. Dallas has a brother named Chase Beeler who plays in the NFL. Dallas Beeler was a 41st round draft pick. And here he is! But he is still going to lose to Gio Gonzalez.
  • The White Sox over the Blue Jays: I am taking a chance here that Chris Sale will be so good that the Blue Jays won't be able to do anything and somehow the White Sox score a run or two off of Marcus Stroman.
  • The Braves over the Phillies: I have Ervin Santana and Roberto Hernandez somehow lumped all inside my head as the same sort of pitchers. But they aren't and Santana should win the game.
  • The Angels over the Royals: Every time I go to Hector Santiago's player page on MLB.com, his duck-lipped face is seriously trying to get me to pick him. Come on, dude, you are 0-7. Oh, okay, you broke me down. Yordano Ventura goes for the Royals.
  • The Rangers over the Twins: The last couple of times I have picked Yu Darvish, I have lost the pick. But, golly, he's supposed to be that good, right? Phil Hughes has been good too though and never walks anyone...
  • The Pirates over the Mets: I really like both Gerrit Cole and Jon Niese in this game, so it is hard to choose. Knowing these two teams, they will play twelve innings anyway and my extra-inning mojo has been impressive lately...
  • The Orioles over the Rays: The Rays are sinking again. Erik Bedard has not been good for them and Wei-Yin Chen is having a good season.
  • The Brewers over the Rockies: Sometimes I wonder if the Rockies will ever have a truly good season...one where they pitch well, hit both on the road as well as home and have good management. Nah. Matt Garza over Jhoulys Chacin.
  • The Athletics over the Marlins: That really was a sad end to the game for the Marlins yesterday. Poor Steve Cishek look like he was trying to stop hurricane force winds with a Chinese fan. Sonny Gray over Nathan Eovaldi.
  • The Braves over the Phillies: Yes, I am going for the sweep here. Sean O'Sullivan has never fooled anyone in all the chances he's had in his career. David Hale, on the other hand, and done well in spot starts and probably should be traded to get a chance somewhere.
  • The Yankees over the Red Sox: The Red Sox could not beat the Yankees' worst pitcher. Watch them beat the best one. Oh well, I have to go with Masahiro Tanaka, right? Even if Jon Lester is pitching?
  • The Dodgers over the Cardinals: This pick did not work out yesterday and with Lance Lynn on the mound, it might not work out today either. But again, I have to go with Zack Greinke to be better.
  • The Cubs over the Nationals: I am going for a split in this double-header. I think Jeff Samardzija will be better than Blake Treinen and that is the reason for the pick. The Cubs' offense has picked up lately too.
  • The Reds over the Giants: You cannot stop Alfredo Simon. This miracle must go on forever. I don't understand it, but I don't question it either. It's just amazing. Stand back in awe, Matt Cain.
  • The Padres over the Diamondbacks: Have any idea why I am making this pick? If you have learned my logic (or lack of it) by now, you would know that Brandon McCarthy was 1-10 and won yesterday, so Eric Stults, who is 2-10, will win today. Yeah, it's that simple and Josh Collmenter will be the victim.
  • The Mariners over the Indians: Once again, the Indians are heading in the wrong direction. Roenis Elias will shut them down and Josh Tomlin will give up enough runs to lose the game.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Tigers over the Astros: How impressive is Bo Porter? I just love that guy as a manager. But no amount of coaxing will convince me that Brett Oberholtzer is going to beat Max Scherzer.
Yesterday: 7-9, June: 200-171, Games of the Day: 43-41, Season: 654-552

No comments: