Wednesday, October 01, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: October 1, 2014

Wow! What a game! If that game last night between the Kansas City Royals and Oakland A's sets the tone for the entire post season, then we are off to one heck of a fun ride in October. I can't imagine much more of an exciting game than that one was.
I was wrong with my first post season pick of the year. But what the heck do I care!? There were comebacks and stolen bases and big flies and guys thrown out at home and...and...I'm out of breath. A hearty congratulations to Royals' fans as they have to be pretty doggone excited right now, and they should be.
Tonight's wild card game features last year's Cinderella team against the every-other-year World Champion San Francisco Giants. This is that every other year. Will that streak continue or will the Pirates prevail at home?
The pick:
The Pirates over the Giants: Last night taught me how much a home crowd means in these post season games. The Royals fans were amazing yesterday and certainly spurred on the team. The Pirates fans are among the most boisterous on the planet and that will help the home team Pirates. Madison Bumgarner is one of the best pitchers in the National League, but the Pirates have beaten him his last two times facing them. I am somewhat uncomfortable picking Edinson Volquez as I can't quite forget that before this season, he was the worst starting pitcher in baseball. There is just something about this Pirates team that is too intangible to pick against.
Post season: 0-1, Season: 1365-1090

No comments: