Monday, September 29, 2014

MLB Game Picks - End of regular season report

I took a little trip through the posts of time to see how my game picking skills compared this year to the prior years. With a 9-6 finish yesterday,  the regular season is over. I will continue picking the post season games starting tomorrow with the wild card games. But for now, I am reflecting on the regular season and what blows me away is that I don't seem to get better at this through the years.
Yesterday completed six years of making these picks every day. I'm not sure why I do it, to be honest with you. It takes a commitment to spend 800 to 1,000 words a day to make it happen when I could be writing about other things. Often times, the picks post is the only thing I have time for in the morning before I go to work.
But I have been doing it so long that I don't know how to stop. At least it gives me a means to write every day about baseball and keeps me strong on how well each season progresses, what players do well and who the new players are. In terms of baseball knowledge, it keeps me sharp.
Anyway, like I was saying, I don't seem to get any better as the years go by. Last year featured slightly better overall numbers than this year. But this year was slightly better than two years ago. But the numbers are remarkably consistent from year to year. They will never be as accurate as those computer spit-outs that give the odds every day.
If I wanted to be a computer, I could have a 70% success rate. But where is the fun in that? Here are my numbers:
  • September: 235-155 = .603
  • Games of the Day: 103-68 = .602
  • Season: 1365-1089 = .556
They are what they are. What I do appreciate is those of you who stop by every day to see me fumble through this. Your faithfulness in coming is much appreciated. I will miss the daily grind of it with only a couple of playoff games to think about for the next few weeks.
And I will miss rooting for my Game Picks favorites like Sonny GrayCorey KluberClayton KershawHenderson Alvarez and a few others. Maybe I'll get a little more sleep or a second cup of coffee in each morning. Or maybe yet, I can write some actual meaningful baseball stuff instead of this stuff every day. Either way, thanks for your patronage and stay tuned during each day of the post season as we wrap this baby up.

No comments: