How can you start a night at 5-0 and end up and 7-8? Somehow, that's how my picking day went. How disheartening! But nothing is more disheartening than hearing about that woman in Boston that got injured with a piece of shattered bat last night. How awful and she was sitting there with her husband and son. Gosh, that is bigger than anything else that happened and more important. Let's all pray that she will recover from this injury!
- The Nationals over the Phillies: The Nats are starting a rookie named Joe Ross and he is making his MLB debut. His MiLB numbers look good, so I am going with him. He was born in 1993. Gosh. Jason Hammel goes for the Phillies.
- The Blue Jays over the Astros: Is this where the Astros come back to earth? We've all been waiting for it while hoping the Cinderella story continues. I think Drew Hutchison makes a better pick than Brett Oberholtzer.
- The Twins over the Brewers: J.R. Graham has been a cracker (sorry, I had to) in long relief for the Twins, so it's not stretch for him to start a game. He throws strikes, therefore, I like him. Matt Garza will never be in my good graces after his quote about pitching for the Cubs.
- The Royals over the Rangers: MLB.com does not list pitchers for this game, but Yahoo says it will be Yordano Ventura versus Wandy Rodriguez. If that is indeed the pitching line, I have to go with the Royals.
- The Red Sox over the Athletics: I think Joe Kelly will put it together this game. And the Red Sox score often against Jesse Chavez. That's my pick and I'm sticking to it.
- The Indians over the Orioles: Matt Wieters came back in a good way, eh? And Adam Jones broke out of his slump last night. Normally, that would be good enough for me. But Danny Salazar is a special talent who can, on any given night, shut down anyone. Ubaldo Jimenez goes for the O's.
- The Rockies over the Marlins: This pick did not work out too well last night. But I'll try again. Chris Rusin has been very good in his two appearances. But both of those were away. How will he do at home in Coors? I assume it will be better than David Phelps.
- The Reds over the Padres: Another pick that was way wrong last night. But what the heck. Michael Lorenzen over Andrew Cashner.
- The Pirates over the Braves: I like that Jeff Locke is a lefty against Atlanta and I don't like the mess that is the Braves' bullpen. Unless Julio Teheran can go a complete game, I go with the hot Pirates.
- The Tigers over the White Sox: The Tigers are in a real funk right now. But David Price should help that and should shut down the White Sox. Meanwhile, the Tigers' sluggish offense should get to John Danks.
- The Yankees over the Angels: All the odds here seem to be stacked against a Yankee win. Adam Warren does not strike fear into any heart and Garrett Richards is a stud. But the Yankees have beaten studs all season.
- The Mets over the Diamondbacks: Chase Anderson is pretty good for the Diamondbacks, but there is some kind of charm in watching Bartolo Colon pitch (and bat). So I'm going with Shrek here.
- The Dodgers over the Cardinals: The Cardinals hardly ever lose. But perhaps today against Clayton Kershaw, that might change. Jaime Garcia has been surprisingly effective thus far.
- The Mariners over the Rays: Felix Hernandez got off track when his home mound got muddy against the Yankees. But he should be back to his old self tonight against the Rays. Alex Colome has been up and down.
And the Pick of the Day:
- The Giants over the Phillies: I cannot pick against Madison Bumgarner. It's just not in me to do so. Severino Gonzalez is good and can only hope to keep up.
Yesterday: 7-8, June: 35-32, Season: 413-385, Picks of the Day: 32-27