Sunday, May 31, 2015

MLB Game Picks - Sunday: May 31, 2015

I hope this last day of May is better than the penultimate day. Because yesterday was awful. After five positive days in a row, I could hardly get anything correct on Saturday. Chi Chi? Who knew?  Well, I did know. He did walk five guys. It's just that the Red Sox are flatter than a pancake. Erasmo Ramirez pitching like Pedro Martinez? Seriously?
Let's finish May with a flourish shall we?
Sunday's picks:
  • The Mets over the Marlins: Two former Yankee pitchers go at it today in Bartolo Colon and David Phelps. After Shane Greene got pummeled last night, picking any ex-Yankee seems to be unsavory. Colon at least has a chance to pitch very well. Phelps? Doubt it.
  • The Nationals over the Reds: Hopefully, Bryce Harper's back will allow him to play after he was drilled by Cingrani (I still think it was on purpose). If he plays, the Nats have a much better lineup and now that Tanner Roarke can start again, he's a winner. Michael Lorenzen has pitched well for the Reds though.
  • The Rockies over the Phillies: One of the few picks I got right yesterday, I'm going to stick with it. I still like Jordan Lyles despite his slow start this season. I like him better than Jerome Williams.
  • The Orioles over the Rays: This is really a tough series to call. Both teams are having issues and both seem to be playing less than they're capable. For example, Chris Tillman has been solid for the last couple of years and looks awful this season. Will that turn around? Is Jake Odorizzi good or not? That answer changes from start to start.
  • The Brewers over the Diamondbacks: Interesting. Tyler Wagner is making the jump from Double-A to make his MLB debut tonight for the Brewers. He has had a great minor league career and was great during the AFL. So he's an interesting pick tonight. Chase Anderson goes for the D-backs.
  • The Astros over the White Sox: This one features two starting pitchers I have no confidence in at all with John Danks and Roberto Hernandez. The swing the Astros way is because they have a better chance to score more with their offense than the White Sox do with theirs.
  • The Twins over the Blue Jays: I never thought I would be picking the Twins and the Astros this much this season. But look how they are playing! Ricky Nolasco has found new life somewhere after last year's fiasco. Drew Hutchison is inconsistent.
  • The Cardinals over the Dodgers: This same pick blew up on me yesterday with Michael Wacha on the mound, no less. Carlos Martinez has the ability to shut down the Dodgers and I think the Cards score on Brett Anderson.
  • The Royals over the Cubs: This is the same match up that got rained out yesterday. Yordano Ventura is my pick over Tsuyoshi Wada. I picked this differently yesterday, just so you know...
  • The Rangers over the Red Sox: I'm not sure about picking Wandy Rodriguez against the Red Sox. But I also know that Joe Kelly has been awful and the Rangers' offense is rocking. The Red Sox do not hit lefties well and Rusney Castillo has yet to contribute anything.
  • The Yankees over the Athletics: The Yankees finally won a road game yesterday. Imagine that! Adam Warren has been pitching well. Jesse Chavez has not been pitching well. The A's defense is brutal.
  • The Indians over the MarinersDanny Salazar has been terrific and other than Nelson Cruz, none of the other Mariners are hitting much. I like that combination. J.A. Happ goes for the Mariners.
  • The Angels over the Tigers: I think David Price gets beat by a couple of homers today. That's just what my gut is telling me. But that assumes that Matt Shoemaker can hold down the Tigers.
  • The Pirates over the Padres: Why is this a night game when it is not the ESPN Sunday night game? Isn't that weird? Either way, this pick depends on whether or not Odrisamer Despaigne's last two good starts were flukes or not. Jeff Locke goes for the Pirates.
And the Pick of the Day:
  • The Giants over the Braves: I got this one wrong yesterday too. The Giants finally lost a game!? I cannot pick against Madison Bumgarner. The only way he loses is if Julio Teheran comes out firing on all cylinders, which is certainly possible.
Yesterday: 5-9, May: 203-181, Season: 369-346, Picks of the Day: 29-24

No comments: