And it's Friday already. It's really true that the older you get, the faster time seems to go. Fridays are always fun though. New series get started, every team plays and there is always lots to consider. Let's consider Friday's games:
- The Dodgers over the Cubs: Chad Billingsley has only pitched three times in his career at Wrigley Field. But they have gone well. That has to give this pick the edge to the Dodgers. Coleman starts for the Cubs.
- The White Sox over the Tigers: Comerica Park is perfect for Buehrle with its wide open spaces. And he's pitched well there with a 3.07 ERA. He should be able to hold the Tigers down long enough to beat Verlander.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: If ever a pitcher was due for a win, it's Sabathia. He is countered by Bergesen, a pitcher that has great days and not so great days. This pick will depend on which of those shows up.
- The Natinonals over the Pirates: Livan does his thing. McCutchen is out for personal reasons. Karstens is better in relief than as a starter.
- The Rays over the Blue Jays: It's hard to figure out what the Jays are doing with their rotation. Cecil and Litsch are sent to the minors and Jo-Jo Reyes gets the start? Doesn't make sense. Hellickson with the win.
- The Mets over the Diamondbacks: A crappy game to pick as Pelfrey and Saunders have been equally horrible. At least Pelfrey seems to have a chance to improve. Saunders is Saunders.
- The Marlins over the Rockies: Sanchez struck out eight last time out and is due for a win. Chacin has been great for the Rockies. But the young hitters in Florida get to him.
- The Rangers over the Royals: A lefty like Francis doesn't have an advantage against Texas with all of their right-handed power. Holland with the win.
- The Twins over the Indians: Hard to pick against a hot team, especially when Carmona is pitching. But Duensing always keep the Twins in striking distance.
- The Cardinals over the Reds: Kyle McClellan has been terrific. Volquez is always an adventure for a game picker. Cardinals are hot. The Reds are not. Cards are home. Got to go that way.
- The Red Sox over the Angels: Dan Haren has been awe-inspiring thus far. But the Red Sox are not the Mariners and they counter with their own ace, Jon Lester.
- The Phillies over the Padres: The Padres have no bullets in their gun. Hamels with an easy win over Richard.
- The Mariners over the Athletics: Tough one here. Tyler Ross and Michael Pineda are two good young pitchers. But neither team can hit. They could go twenty scoreless innings. But if the Mariners can give Pineda a couple of runs, they will win.
- The Braves over the Giants: Tommy Hanson has the kind of arm that can quiet the Giants' lineup. Bumgarner has been inconsistent thus far. Longshot pick here, so beware.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Brewers over the Astros: Gallardo should have no trouble against the light-hitting Astros and Figueroa hasn't been very good thus far.
Games of the Day: 10-12