Which leads to the picks for Saturday. Two great days in a row would be sweet. None of those three Friday washouts will be made up on Saturday (which seems strange):
- The Cubs over the Dodgers: Ryan Dempster can't seem to get his game out of the dumpster. Perhaps the Dodgers will help as Dempster has always done well against them (7-3, 2.23). He'll beat Lilly today.
- The Bay Rays over the Blue Jays: It's always dicey picking a pitcher just coming back from the DL like Morrow. So going with David Price and the Rays.
- The Mets over the Diamondbacks: Gee, who will win this game? Heh. The Fan loves that. But Gee will win because he faces Barry Enwrong.
- The Twins over the Indians: Yesterday's match up becomes today's match up and Duensing will beat Carmona.
- The Giants over the Braves: Lincecum is back in 2009 form. Which means he's not hittable. Hudson is a worthy opponent, but Lincecum takes it.
- The White Sox over the Tigers: A bad Penny always turns up. Love that pun. But it's true too. Jackson is always either terrible or terrific. He better be terrific today.
- The Cardinals over the Reds: The Cards and Reds are going in opposite directions. Carpenter keeps that trend going against Travis Wood.
- The Nationals over the Pirates: Picking against Livan always burns this picker. Karstens is better in relief than as a starter. It's surprising that after a rain-out, the Pirates wouldn't bump Karstens, who was an emergency starter in the first place.
- The Rockies over the Marlins: Hammel is the weakest of the Rockies' starters, but he's better at this point in his career than Javier Vazquez. Plus, the Marlins offense will really miss LoMo.
- The Brewers over those plucky Astros: You have to give the Astros credit. They never give up. But Marcum's change up will bamboozle them today. Myers with the tough luck loss.
- The Rangers over the Royals: Read a piece the other day that said Kyle Davies is the worst starter in history. It built a strong case too. He didn't have enough starts to make the Fan's version last week of the worst starting pitchers in history. Ogando should bounce back from a bad start against the Yankees.
- The Padres over the Phillies: The upset pick of the day. Stauffer has been very good and Blanton has been a weak link for the Phillies.
- The Red Sox over the Angels: The Red Sox have their swagger back. Dice-K over Santana.
- The Athletics over the Mariners: Boy, are these two offenses weak. But Cahill is terrific. He beats Vargas.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Yankees over the Orioles: They simply moved yesterday's match up to today. Sabathia still beats Bergesen.
Yesterday: 10-2 Yowza!
Games of the Day: 11-12