The Cubs pick over the Phillies took a long time to come out right. But it did. The Red Sox were too much for the Yankees, who must now regroup somehow. Lance Lynn got his first MLB win and Lance Berkman hit another homer. Colorado had to come from way behind to beat the Dodgers and secure that pick. Anthony Rizzo had a successful debut for the Padres with a triple and two walks. Welcome to the big leagues, kid. Johnny Cueto was really good, or the Giants are really bad. Poor Madison Bumgarner. No run support...ever. Josh Collmenter pitched five shutout innings for the D-Backs, but they won late as Micah Owings started a rally with his bat and then got the win with his arm. Super cool! Jair Jurrjens and Justin Verlander did their things and carried their teams to wins. It was all just as this picker planned it. Sort of.
We head into the weekend with a fresh set of match ups. Should be interesting:
- The Yankees over the Indians: The Yankees have to regroup and win this game and this series or they could be in trouble. Ivan Nova versus Fausto Carmona. Taking the Yankees at home.
- The Mets over the Pirates: Can you pick against the Mets when Dillon Gee pitches? Charlie Morton is pretty good too though.
- The Tigers over the Mariners: Erik Bedard and Brad Penny kind of even each other out. The Tigers have an offense.
- The Bay Rays over the Orioles: Jeremy Hellickson is hot. Jake Arrieta can be good or bad. Which will it be tonight?
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: Jo-Jo Reyes has won two straight. But this is the Red Sox. Clay Buchholz always does well against the Blue Jays.
- The Marlins over the Diamondbacks: The match up of Anibal Sanchez versus Joe Saunders favors the Marlins. Saunders has pitched well of late though.
- The Braves over the Astros: Tim Hudson isn't a lock. But Aneury Rodriguez is less of a lock. The Astros are struggling.
- The Athletics over the White Sox: Graham Godfrey makes his major league debut and has been super in the minors. Bob Melvin wins his first game as manager. Edwin Jackson goes for the White Sox.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: Kyle Lohse must be good and the Cardinals have to be patient against Chris Narveson.
- The Rangers over the Twins: C. J. Wilson should provide the difference in this one over Brian Duensing. The Rangers proved that you can hit it out in that big ballpark.
- The Rockies over the Dodgers: Chad Billingsley will not be sharp in Colorado and Jhoulys Chacin knows how to pitch there. Advantage Rockies.
- The Royals over the Angels: Simply like Jeff Francis against the Angels. Erwin Santana has been consistent but the Angels can't score.
- The Padres over the Nationals: Matt Latos is back and has won four in a row. Jason Marquis has been good but won't be able to hang with Latos. Anthony Rizzo gives a new vibe.
- The Giants over the Reds: Ryan Vogelsong writes a new chapter in his legend and Travis Wood was lit up in his last start.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Cubs: Carlos Zambrano has been good. But he's up against Roy Halladay. Not this time, Z.
Games of the Day: 42-29