And so Monday was a sub-par day despite rousing picks like David Price and the Bay Rays, the Orioles over the A's and Cliff Lee over Ted Lilly. Today is another day and this picker is ready! Here goes:
- The Diamondbacks over the Pirates: Kevin Correia has the most wins in baseball, but Daniel Hudson is no slouch either.
- The Red Sox over the Yankees: Jon Lester is a better bet to be on his game than Freddie Garcia. The Red Sox take Game One.
- The Phillies over the Dodgers: Roy Oswalt seems the better pick here as the Dodgers counter with rookie, Rubby de la Rosa. In other words, to anglicize that name, the Phillies rub the bloom off that rose.
- The Twins over the Indians: Francisco Liriano is back though Anthony Swarzak had been doing a fine job. Carlos Carrasco hasn't been good lately for the Indians.
- The Athletics over the Orioles: The Orioles are starting Chris Jakubauskas. Seriously? The A's are starting Guillermo Moscoso, which isn't much more comforting.
- The Braves over the Marlins: Tommy Hanson is a good pitcher. The Marlins, who are sliding a bit, give the ball to Brad Hand, making his major league debut. Hand, a lefty, doesn't strike out a lot of batters and walks his share. He is 7-1 in the minors, but has been homer prone.
- The Rangers over the Tigers: Rick Porcello was cuffed around good by the Red Sox, but he's not alone there. Matt Harrison missed a start due to a blister. He's supposed to go tonight.
- The Cardinals over the Astros: Albert Pujols is himself again and Jake Westbrook will look like Cy Young against the Astros. Brett Myers with the loss.
- The Brewers over the Mets: Shaun Marcum spoils Chris Capuano's trip back home.
- The Mariners over the White Sox: The Sox have already beaten Michael Pineda and have Phil Humber on the mound tonight. The Fan is still going with Felix Hernandez for the win.
- The Blue Jays over the Royals: Kyle Drabek hasn't been great as a rookie this year, but faces Vin Mazzaro, the guy who broke a record for runs allowed in an inning and a third the last time he pitched.
- The Rockies over the Padres: Now that Ubaldo Jiminez has his first win, he'll string up a bunch. Tim Stauffer will only mildly be in the way.
- The Angels over the Bay Rays: Alex Cobb will try again for his first win but faces the tough Dan Haren.
- The Giants over the Nationals: The Giants always seem to find a way. It's quite amazing. Jordan Zimmermann never gets any run support from the Nationals and Jonathan Sanchez will keep it that way.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Reds over the Cubs: It's still hard to believe that Doug Davis is making major league starts. But there he is. Edinson Volquez gets the start for the Reds after his banishment to the minors.
Games of the Day: 40-28