On the plus side, the Pirates with Charlie Morton was a brilliant pick over the Phillies. A Rangers' pitcher again shut out the Indians and Josh Hamilton hit a homer. Sabathia was the man for the Yankees. The Red Sox won a wild one. The Twins again beat the Royals. Clayton Kershaw wasn't invincible but the Dodgers won anyway. Yovani Gallardo was as good as expected for the Brewers. Aaron Harang indeed beat the Astros. And the Cardinals beating the Cubs was hardly a stroke a genius to pick. It was a good day.
Sunday's action will look like the following:
- The Dodgers over the Reds: Clay Billingsley will not have to deal with the light air of Colorado in this one. His breaking balls will have more bite. Travis Wood is having problems getting through the line up multiple times.
- The Marlins over the Brewers: The Marlins should match up well against Chris Narveson and Anibal Sanchez is really good this year.
- The Athletics over the Red Sox: Brett Anderson is always terrible against the Yankees but always terrific against the Red Sox. John Lackey is back from the disabled list. Don't know if that is good news for the Red Sox or not.
- The Phillies over the Pirates: You have to give the Pirates props this year for hanging tough. But they face Roy Halladay, who hasn't been lights out so far this year, but still wins seventy percent of the time. James McDonald is on the wrong end of this one.
- The Blue Jays over the Orioles: Jo-Jo Reyes is now a winner. Two in a row? Jeremy Guthrie runs into too many Toronto bats.
- The White Sox over the Tigers: Jake Peavy keeps going strong? Perhaps. Brad Penny running into trouble against the White Sox? Probable.
- The Royals over the Twins: The Royals have to break out some time. Brian Duensing has lost his invincibility and Jeff Francis has been the only starter to win in the last two weeks.
- The Cardinals over the Cubs: Chris Carpenter has gotten no love from his fielders. But he should beat the sleep-walking Cubs. Carlos Zambrano is the wild card in this game though as he has pitched well.
- The Yankees over the Angels: Bartolo Colon continues his amazing saga against a weak hitting team and the Yankees get to Joel Pineiro.
- The Giants over the Rockies: Ryan Vogelsong and Josh Collmenter have been two amazing stories this season for pitchers to come out of nowhere. Vogelsong continues his hot pitching and the Giants jump on Jason Hammel.
- The Mariners over the Bay Rays: This Fan is telling you, there is something wrong with Wade Davis. His velocity is down and his pitches have less movement. It finally caught up to him in his last outing. Meanwhile, Erik Bedard has been getting better and better.
- The Diamondbacks over the Nationals: Jason Marquis has been very good for the Nationals. But so has Ian Kennedy been for the Diamondbacks. The Nationals have no offense.
- The Padres over the Astros: Everyone is talking about Jordan Lyles, the 20 year old phenom for the Astros. But Matt Latos has been there, done that and wears the t-shirt.
- The Braves over the Mets: The Mets have been a different team with Jose Reyes in the line up. But Tim Hudson should find a way to win. J. A. Dickey was a better story last year than he has been this year.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Rangers over the Indians: C. J. Wilson finishes off the Indians as Mitch Talbot gets the loss. The Rangers look really good right now and could run and hide in the West.
Last Week: 57-41
Games of the Day: 38-28