As for yesterday's picks, they were okay. The day was over .500 by three games. However, picking the Athletics to beat the Red Sox is sticking in the throat as a really stupid pick. The Florida bullpen again lost a game which pushes the Phillies further into the NL East lead. Jake Peavy got hurt [sigh] which didn't help the White Sox pick. The Fan already wrote about the Nationals win. R. A. Dickey beating Tim Hudson was totally unexpected. Jose Reyes was again in the thick of that win. The Royals pick is downright laughable in retrospect. It's okay to do well, but when the incorrect picks seem so stupid, it's hard to feel good about them.
Monday's abbreviated schedule still features eleven games, which is pretty cool. Here are the picks:
- The Phillies over the Dodgers: The Dodgers have won and lost on every other of Ted Lilly's starts. What a fun statistical blip. If the pattern holds true, they are due for a loss. Cliff Lee has been puzzling. He's already walked more batters than he did all of last year.
- The Indians over the Twins: The Twins are heating up of late. But the Indians seem to find a way to win when Josh Tomlin pitches. The Indians are at home and really need a win. Scott Baker goes for the Twins.
- The Orioles over the Athletics: The A's aren't having fun facing the AL East and get to face Brian Matusz today. They counter with Gio Gonzalez. This game could go either way.
- The Cubs over the Reds: Matt Garza comes off the disabled list in this one and should be the difference against Mike Leake. It's hard to pick the Cubs to win, but this is the day.
- The Brewers over the Marlins: In a rare wrap-around-the-weekend series, the Brewers should get a win behind Zack Greinke. The Marlins offer Javier Vazquez up for sacrifice.
- The Rangers over the Tigers: Tough call here. The Tigers are charging up the standings in the AL Central and Max Scherzer was so good up until his last two starts. The Rangers feature Colby Lewis, who is pitching really well.
- The Mariners over the White Sox: Michael Pineda is really good. John Danks is 0-8. Enough said. Though there is this little voice that keeps saying that Danks has to win some time.
- The Blue Jays over the Royals: Brandon Morrow has not hit his stride yet for the Blue Jays. He needs to pound the strike zone more. But the Royals go with Felipe Paulino and as a team, have been stinking up the joint lately.
- The Padres over the Rockies: Another tough game to pick. The Rockies are ice cold. Clayton Mortensen has been good and bad. Clayton Richard seems to have a better chance to win at home. Is this the first battle of Claytons ever?
- The Bay Rays over the Angels: The Bay Rays can't hit. But David Price faces Tyler Chatwood. Both pitched really well their last time out. Going with Price.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Giants over the Nationals: The Nationals' bullpen has to be seriously gassed and need John Lannon to go deep. Since that rarely occurs, Tim Lincecum should win easily.
Games of the Day: 39-28