What did get this picker down was having the rain hold up all day yesterday only to roll in after only two holes played in the Thursday golf league. What a bummer. And it didn't just rain. It dumped. That was the end of this week's league play. The southwest is having a drought and in northern Maine, there's been twenty-five inches of rain since early May. This must be the new rain forest.
The picks? Oh, yes. The picks. They had a good day on Thursday with seven out of ten on the plus side. Of course, the Astros had to melt down to get there, but a bullpen does not exist for the Astros. For those who denigrate the save as a statistic, just look at Houston. The poor blighters.
Incorrect picks included the Mets again. They have been this picker's bane this season. Two of the other teams that give this picker headaches played each other. Naturally the Cubs won when this picker picked the Nationals. And finally, this picker's mouth is hung open at how badly the Blue Jays played in their series against the Athletics.
- The Tigers over the Orioles: Brad Penny's ERA is nearly a full run higher than Alfredo Simon's. But this is the Tigers versus the Orioles after all.
- The Indians over the Twins: First, the Indians are at home. Second, Justin Masterson is pitching. Third, Carl Pavano is pitching for the Twins. 1+1+1 equals an Indians' win.
- The Yankees over the Bay Rays: C.C. Sabathia is 16-2 with a 2.11 ERA against all teams not including the Red Sox. The Yankees have done well against David Price this season and they are home.
- The Angels over the Blue Jays: Really want to pick Brandon Morrow to win this one, but Ervin Santana has been incredible lately.
- The Padres over the Reds: The Friars start Matt Latos who should shut down the Reds. Bronson Arroyo has been more gutsy than good.
- The Giants over the Marlins: No Hanley Ramirez for the Fish and Matt Cain is a very good pitcher. Ricky Nolasco goes for the Marlins.
- The Braves over the Cubs: The Braves wouldn't trade Mike Minor at the deadline and it's time he showed why. Carlos Zambrano goes for the Cubs.
- The White Sox over the Royals: Zach Stewart is the real deal and beat the Twins in his last outing. He should beat the Royals too. Bruce Chen goes for the Royals.
- The Brewers over the Pirates: Zack Greinke pitches at home where the Brewers rarely lose. Paul Maholm goes for the Pirates.
- The Cardinals over the Rockies: Not a ringing endorsement for Kyle Lohse here, but he should give up fewer runs than Aaron Cook. Plus, the Cardinals are home.
- The Diamondbacks over the Mets: Dillon Gee is still 10-3, but he's been stuck there for a while. Meanwhile, Ian Kennedy just keeps on winning. Something magical is happening on this Arizona team.
- The Athletics over the Rangers: C.J. Wilson blasted pitching in Oakland and gets his non-wish. Karma will get him for that. Plus, Brandon McCarthy has been dealing.
- The Red Sox over the Mariners: Blake Beavan has been terrific with six straight quality starts to begin his career. That streak will come to an end against the Red Sox line up. John Lackey looks better lately.
- The Dodgers over the Astros: Bud Norris is good, but he is an island. The Dodgers will start either Nathan Eovaldi or Clayton Kershaw. Either will be just fine for the Dodgers.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Nationals: This one should be a no-doubter with Cole Hamels matched up with Livan Hernandez.
Games of the Day: 82-49