Take the Red Sox game versus the Twins. This picker thought it would be cute to pick the Twins. And for half the game, the pick looked like a winner. But the Red Sox are too good and the Twins are so bad. That should have been the logical conclusion. A lot of the picks were like that. Let's not even discuss the Diamondbacks game. What the heck happened there? The Diamondbacks sure are missing the boat to catch up with the Giants. The Giants keep losing and the Diamondbacks could be like three games up in the standings. It was good to see the Pirates win though, even if it meant a bad pick.
Okay. No more cuteness. No more trying to look splashy. Just cold, hard analysis for Tuesday's games:
- The Angels over the Yankees: Dan Haren is 4-1 lifetime versus the Yankees with a good ERA with an 8.0 K/BB ratio in the new Yankee Stadium. Plus, A.J. Burnett is pitching for the Yankees.
- The White Sox over the Orioles: The cute pick would be to pick Jo-Jo Reyes, who the Orioles got off the scrap heap. But the White Sox are the surer pick with Gavin Floyd bouncing back after his horrible start against the Yankees.
- The Indians over the Tigers: Doug Fister would be the cute pick (apologies for continuing this theme). But Justin Masterson beat the Red Sox in his last outing and is the better pitcher. The Indians are at home.
- The Blue Jays over the Athletics: The A's are hitting better these days, but face a hot pitcher in Brett Cecil. Plus the Blue Jays are at home and should hit a couple of dingers. Rich Harden goes for the A's.
- The Rockies over the Reds: The Reds have blown the game in every outing that Dontrelle Willis has pitched. Willis will get a hit, but no run support. Carlos Gonzalez makes the Rockies better and should back starter, Esmil Rogers.
- The Bay Rays over the Royals: Jeff Francis hasn't been very good. James Shields has been very good. That's the pick then.
- The Mets over the Padres: Wade LeBlanc has been winless so far and it should remain that way as the Mets jump him at home. Chris Capuano should pitch well for the Mets.
- The Rangers over the Mariners: Michael Pineda can be overpowering. But the Rangers will wait him out and wear him down. Alexi Ogando with the win.
- The Cubs over the Nationals: The two teams were rained out yesterday. The same match ups today. Chien-Ming Wang and Matt Garza. Garza wins that battle.
- The Red Sox over the Twins: Erik Bedard won't be spectacular. But he doesn't have to be with the Red Sox offense. Liriano goes for the Twins.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: Tough game to call. If Edwin Jackson is on, he should win at home. Shaun Marcum is a tough customer though. But Marcum got hit pretty good by the Cardinals last time.
- The Diamondbacks over the Astros: The Diamondbacks have to win this series against a lowly team. It didn't start well. Jordan Lyles goes for the Astros and got his first win of the season last time out. Jason Marquis will have to pitch well to win.
- The Phillies over the Dodgers: Ted Lilly has been better of late and in the past, a lefty would be tough for the Phillies. But Pence balances them out now. If Mayberry would get the start, he would help too. Either way, Cliff Lee wins.
- The Pirates over the Giants: Carlos Beltran doesn't help the Giants if he can't play. Madison Bumgarner has to be the hardest luck pitcher in baseball. James McDonald just keeps getting better.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Braves over the Marlins: The Braves are a different team since Dan Uggla started hitting. Brandon Beachy should win over a non-strike throwing Clay Hensley.
Yesterday: 3-7 oof
Games of the Day: 80-48