The picks were on the wrong end of an improbable five-run outburst in the ninth inning against Joakim Soria and Aaron Crow. Seriously, the Royals had that game. How did it go so bad so quickly? Depending on which team you were rooting for, that was the most thrilling ninth inning for the Bay Rays ever...or it was the biggest meltdown in the back end of a bullpen you'll ever see. Either way it was dumbfounding.
Oh, some of the picks were rewarding. A Giants' loss followed later by a Diamondbacks' win (both picked correctly) leapfrogged the D-backs into first. Ubaldo Jimenez got his first win for the Indians over the Tigers. That was a correct pick. Ivan Nova belongs in the Yankee rotation and showed why again yesterday for that correct pick. The Pirates were correctly picked behind Karstens. But there wasn't enough to push the day into any kind happy feelings at the end.
But Thursday is another day in a season that continues to roll along. It's been a fun season, hasn't it? There is nothing like the daily fix of MLB and drama every day. Thursday features a shortened schedule of ten games, but six of them are day games. Sweet! The picks:
- The Mets over the Padres: Cory Luebke just pitched in relief the other day, but he's scheduled to start today? That doesn't make sense. Jonathan Niese goes for the Mets and should win no matter who pitches for the Friars.
- The Reds over the Rockies: Johnny Cueto should beat Jhoulys Chacin as long as he stays away from those hot chicken wings.
- The Blue Jays over the Athletics: Not a great pitching match up with Guillermo Moscoso facing Brad Mills. But Toronto is at home and Brett Lawrie fever is at a high pitch.
- The Yankees over the Angels: Bartolo Colon just has to be decent to beat the Angels and the struggling Tyler Chatwood.
- The Nationals over the Cubs: Ryan Dempster has been more than adequate of late and is good at home. But this game hinges on Jordan Zimmermann and a Nationals' offense that can score a bunch of runs.
- The White Sox over the Orioles: The Orioles have enough right-handed bats to counter Mark Buehrle. That's the good news. The bad news is that they are starting Chris Tillman.
- The Tigers over the Indians: Justin Verlander stops the bleeding for the Tigers as they should outpace Fausto Carmona, who has been better of late.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: The Cards better win this one or they are sunk into a deep pit they may never climb out. They have the right guy out there in Chris Carpenter. But Yovani Gallardo is good too. Tough one.
- The Diamondbacks over the Astros: This pick would feel better if Joe Saunders wasn't starting. But the Astros, despite their plucky manager, don't have much to counter with and poor Brett Myers is 3-12.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Bay Rays over the Royals: After last night? Forgetaboutit. Jeff Niemann finishes off the Royals and beats Danny Duff.
Games of the Day: 81-49