This picker knew that Carlos Zambrano would lose to the Braves. Five homers weren't expected though. This picker didn't expect the Yankees to lose with C.C. Sabathia on the mound giving up just as many homers as Zambrano. David Price finally had a great game though. The Padres looked like a good pick over the Reds until the eighth inning--the slot Mike Adams used to pitch. Now he pitches those innings for the Rangers and the Padres lost the game.
The Athletics over the Rangers turned out to be a laughable pick, especially after the Rangers scored nine runs in the first four innings. Duh. Bad pick. Ricky Nolasco simply out pitched Matt Cain, but both pitchers were great. So that negative pick was a least more understandable. But the Royals beating the White Sox? The White Sox are sure confusing.
And in the anti-Sabathia game, the Dodgers and the Astros went a combined eight for sixty-two at the plate with only one run scoring in ten innings. But at least that pick was right. Poor Bud Norris. He pitched his heart out.
So we slide into Saturday. It's finally a sunny day here after the monsoon season. The golf course is closed due to excessive water. Sigh. The only thing left to do is to leisurely pick Saturday's games:
- The Angels over the Blue Jays: Ricky Romero is good. Jared Weaver is better. Neither team is scoring very well at the moment.
- The Pirates over the Brewers: The Pirates are definitely headed in the wrong direction, but get a break tonight with the injury to Chris Narveson. Marco Estrada will get the start for the Brewers instead. Kevin Correia needs to hold the Brewers to five runs or less though.
- The Bay Rays over the Yankees: Jeremy Hellickson is 2-0 in three starts over the Yankees in his young career. This picker has no faith in Phil Hughes.
- The Athletics over the Rangers: Let's try this again. Trevor Cahill has terrific numbers in his career against the Rangers (caution SSS). The A's can get some runs off of Colby Lewis.
- The Tigers over the Orioles: Jeremy Guthrie will gut it out but the Tigers will score more runs than the Orioles. Max Scherzer needs to be better than he has been though.
- The Indians over the Twins: Josh Tomlin continues to defy logic and was very good against the Rangers in his last start. He should get the win at home over Brian Duensing.
- The Phillies over the Nationals: Not thrilled with this pick. John Lannon has been pitching well and Roy Oswalt is pitching his second time since coming off the DL.
- The Braves over the Cubs: Randy Wells gives up too many homers and the Braves are hitting them in bunches lately. Derek Lowe goes for the Braves, so that's a caution.
- The White Sox over the Royals: Luke Hochevar has been great in the second half but won't get any run support as the Royals face Jake Peavy.
- The Reds over the Padres: This picker really likes Tim Stauffer. But he pitches for the Padres who won't score enough runs off of Homer Bailey to win.
- The Giants over the Marlins: Tim Lincecum shouldn't have any trouble in this one. Javier Vazquez is listed for the Marlins, but this picker thought he heard he has left the team for a personal matter? Could have faulty memory here.
- The Diamondbacks over the Mets: This is not a confident pick. Daniel Hudson has really struggled of late and Mike Pelfrey is always capable of a good game. But the D-backs are a much better team. Who knows.
- The Mariners over the Red Sox: Felix Hernandez beat the Red Sox last time out and he's pitching brilliantly again. Josh Beckett is a tough opponent though.
- The Dodgers over the Astros: There might not be any offense in this one either as Wandy Rodriguez goes up against Clayton Kershaw.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Cardinals over the Rockies: Jaime Garcia against the Rockies will be better against them at home than he was in Colorado. Jason Hammel simply hasn't had a good season.
Games of the Day: 82-50