This picker took it on the chin yesterday. Apparently it was opposite day because everything happened the opposite of what was expected. The Rangers lost with their second best pitcher to the Red Sox spot starter. The Cardinals finally won a game. The Astros beat the Giants to send the Game of the Day feature to its third straight loss. The Bay Rays couldn't score at all for Jeremy Hellickson. The Orioles swept the Twins. It was just a bad, bad day.
Friday needs to be redemption day. Here are Friday's picks:
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Clay Hensley goes for the Marlins and he is capable of a good game. The Marlins got some of their offense back from the minors (ahem), but they are playing the Phillies, the best team in the NL. Roy Oswalt goes for the team from Philadelphia.
- The Indians over the Royals: You have to give the Indians credit. They keep going out there and get players. But they will still come up short in the AL Central. Ubaldo Jimenez is due for a good game. Sheesh, Ubaldo. Felipe Paulino goes for the Royals.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: Yeah, it's A.J. Burnett's turn in the rotation. Sigh. But the team just hit three grand slams! Tommy Hunter hasn't been effective since coming to the Orioles.
- The Blue Jays over the Bay Rays: In another battle of the "Ays," it's time for Henderson Alvarez to win his first major league game. James Shields has been regressing of late.
- The Athletics over the Red Sox: Whoa! Have you lost your mind, Fan? Well...Gio Gonzalez is capable of shutting down the Red Sox and Tim Wakefield is capable of giving the A's some runs.
- The Reds over the Nationals: Oh man! Two of the coolest reclamation projects pitching in the same game? Dontrelle Willis deserves to get a win. Come on, Reds! Make it happen. Meanwhile, Chien-Ming Wang has been getting better with every start. Tough game.
- The Rangers over the Angels: Nobody believed this writer when he posted last week that the Angels still had a shot due to a softer schedule than the Rangers. And now look where we are now! For the Rangers to win this game, Derek Holland has to be at his finest. You know Dan Haren is going to pitch well.
- The Brewers over the Cubs: Randy Wolf is 5-10 lifetime against the Cubs. But it won't matter as the Brewers will pound Rodrigo Lopez.
- The Tigers over the Twins: Bye Jim Thome. Doesn't matter. The Twins are the worst team in the American League. Rick Porcello should win unless the Twins' pitcher can prove to be a Scott Diamond in the rough.
- The Pirates over the Cardinals: James McDonald only has to throw more strikes to become one of the best pitchers in the NL. He is that close. Jake Westbrook has been surprisingly effective.
- The Diamondbacks over the Padres: Wade LeBlanc has won his last two starts, but Josh Collmenter has been effective for his last three. These are the games the D-backs have to win.
- The Mariners over the White Sox: Charlie Furbush is a different pitcher in Seattle than anywhere else. Jake Peavy runs into a surprisingly hot Mariner offense.
- The Rockies over the Dodgers: The Rockies are making their annual year-end run and face Ted Lilly who has been battling an assortment of ailments. Esmil Rogers will have to be good though.
- The Giants over the Astros: J.A. Happ's season of misery continues as he faces Madison Bumbarner, the best 7-12 pitcher in baseball.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Braves over the Mets: Tim Hudson has been terrific in his last two months. Chris Capuano is decent. The Braves should win.
Yesterday: 2-7 ouch
Games of the Day: 90-43