Yesterday's picks hit a bump in the road. Behind five solid days to start the week, the sixth day saw a slight bit of red. There were quite a few upsets. The Nationals shocked the Phillies in the ninth off a closer implosion by Ryan Madson. The Cubs beat the flaccid Cardinals late in the game. The Astros blanked the Giants, who refuse to play Belt while scoring no runs. Here's the pick breakdown:
- Smart picks: Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Brewers (the Game of the Day), Angels and the Padres.
- Dumb picks: Diamondbacks, Giants, Rockies, Blue Jays and Cleveland.
- Lucky picks: Reds
- Unlucky picks: Mariners, Phillies and Cardinals
A winning week is still secure despite the slightly negative day. But let's see if the stats can get padded by a good finish:
- The Pirates over the Reds: Charlie Morton can get left-handed batters out and after a short outing last time due to a forearm problem, this picker has no faith in Dontrelle Willis. Would love to be wrong, but that's the pick.
- The Dodgers over the Rockies: The Dodgers have been a little on the hot side lately. Not thrilled with Ted Lilly as a starter (though he did shut down the Brewers last time out). Esmil Rogers is 6-2 despite a 6.00 ERA!
- The Brewers over the Mets: The Brewers can't seem to lose. They have been amazing. Randy Wolf was great his last time out. The Mets counter with Chris Capuano and little else.
- The Cubs over the Cardinals: Jim Hendry's Reign of Error is finally over. The black cloud is lifted over Wrigley and Matt Garza even wins a game. Edwin Jackson continues baffling us all.
- The Indians over the Tigers: The rain delay match up resumes with David (Hassle) Huff versus Doug Fister. Fister hasn't been good lately.
- The Giants over the Astros: Should the Astros keep sending Jordan Lyles out there at the tender age of twenty to keep getting beat? That's this Fan's question. Madison Bumgarner should win if only his team can score a run or two or three.
- The Brewers over the Diamondbacks: This Fan never likes to pick a team featuring a pitcher making his major league debut. Wade Miley does so for the D-backs. Brandon Beachy goes for the Braves.
- The Red Sox over the Royals: Tim Wakefield finally gets win number 200 on his fifteenth try (it seems) as the Red Sox will wait out Felipe Paulino and take their walks.
- The Yankees over the Twins: A.J. Burnett (cough) gets the start for the Yankees and Francisco Liriano gets the start for the Twins in the "all-frustrating pitchers report for duty" game.
- The Rays over the Mariners: Love Charlie Furbush (he was born in Maine!) but the Bay Rays will win this one behind Jeremy Hellickson.
- The Rangers over the White Sox: Alexi Ogando hasn't been dominant, but he keeps winning. John Danks has been great. But he won't win this one.
- The Padres over the Marlins: Aaron Harang over Clay Hensley in this one. The Marlins can't seem to beat this team.
- The Orioles over the Angels: Joel Pineiro has been at a loss this season and starts today. Tommy Hunter has a big day for the Orioles.
- The Blue Jays over the Athletics: Going with young Henderson Alvarez in this one (reluctantly) only because Gio Gonzalez has really struggled for the last month and a half.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Nationals: Roy Oswalt was supposed to pitch yesterday but the delayed start of the game pushed him to today. That should get him a win against a struggling John Lannon.
Games of the Day: 87-50