There was a lot of grimacing going on after Saturday's pick started 0-4. First Jared Weaver got smacked around by the Blue Jays. Then Colby Lewis continued his up and down year as the Rangers feasted on Trevor Cahill. Phil Hughes looked much better than Jeremy Hellickson and Jorge Posada has three hits and a grand slam. And then Kevin Correia gave up just one run for the Pirates and they still lost. It was a lot like watching your child run the wrong way on the bases in a Little League game. But the day rallied and ended with a brilliant pick of the Mariners over the Red Sox.
The Game of the Day feature is struggling lately. But that's what this picker gets for choosing the St. Louis Cardinals. What a baffling and infuriating team they've become to pick. You can't even count on a Jaime Garcia win at home? Sheesh.
But it wasn't a bad week. Nineteen games over .500 is a successful week so this picker can't complain. As August continues to fly by, a new week begins with Sunday, the best baseball day of the week:
- The Indians over the Twins: Kevin Slowey gets the start for the Twins since Baker went on the disabled list. That should be good news for the home team Indians who start David (hassle) Huff.
- The Bay Rays over the Yankees: A.J. Burnett is starting in place of Freddie Garcia, who cut his finger. Never thought this picker would be saying this but Garcia is much more trusted than Burnett. Meanwhile, James Shields is having a great season.
- The Angels over the Blue Jays: Dan Haren shouldn't falter after his teammate, Weaver, did, should he? Brett Cecil starts for the Jays.
- The Reds over the Padres: Hey Reds, you hit seven homers yesterday and scored over a dozen runs. Can you get some runs for Dontrelle Willis please? Thank you. The equally win-deprived Wade LeBlanc goes for the Padres.
- The Giants over the Marlins: Let's hope the Marlins fall flat and tank after dumping LoMo in a strange and baffling move. Chris Volstad is back from that same New Orleans minor league team to get the start for the Marlins. Ryan Vogelsong starts for the Giants.
- The Braves over the Cubs: Matt Garza keeps throwing quality starts, but can't get a win. Brandon Beachy will try to keep it that way. Nobody is making fun of Dan Uggla now.
- The Tigers over the Orioles: Doug Fister has to be smiling a lot these days going from a last place team to a first place team. As for Jo-Jo Reyes, he went from off the scrap heap to still not being very good for the Orioles.
- The Phillies over the Nationals: Chien-Ming Wang's win in his last start was a nice story. Today the story turns ugly facing Doc Halladay.
- The White Sox over the Royals: The Royals hit lefty starters better than right-handed ones and get John Danks today. The White Sox hit equally pathetically against either hand. But the White Sox hit better in day games. Does any of that mean anything? That's why they play the game. Jeff Francis goes for the Royals.
- The Brewers over the Pirates: Alas, the Pirates are dead. Maybe it was a mistake giving up on Overbay? Shaun Marcum with another win and Charlie Morton pours more salt in the wounds.
- The Rangers over the Athletics: Matt Harrison has been solid all season and should beat Rick Harden and the A's.
- The Red Sox over the Mariners: Tim Wakefield in his third attempt to get 200 wins for the Red Sox. He should get it today going against Charlie Furbush.
- The Diamondbacks over the Mets: Chris Capuano has been solid all season but it's all been in vain. Meanwhile, Jason Marquis hasn't won for the D-backs since that deadline deal. But he'll win today.
- The Cardinals over the Rockies: Esmil Rogers is 6-1 but his ERA is near six. How does that happen? Edwin Jackson has always been a puzzle. Picking the Cardinals is fraught with danger these days.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Dodgers over the Astros: Hiroki Kuroda should breeze through this game with ease. Jordan Lyles with the loss.
Last Week: 57-38
Games of the Day: 82-51