And more games are being played today. So the picks have to be made, even if the heart really isn't in it:
- The Indians over the Royals: Bruce Chen is always capable of a well pitched game. But he better go all the way if he does. Justin Masterson is terrific and the better pick to win.
- The Rays over the Blue Jays: The battle of the "Ays" hasn't been much of a battle. The Tampa team from St. Pete (?) finishes them off behind David Price. Brandon Morrow continues his mystifying season.
- The Reds over the Nationals: Jordan Zimmermann makes likely his last start of the season. He's pitched well but rarely gets support. The Reds behind Johnny Cueto will keep that reality right to the end.
- The Yankees sweep the Orioles: The Yankees aren't happy with the Orioles and you don't want to make the Yankees unhappy. Bartolo Colon and Ivan Nova versus Zach Britton and Brian Matusz. Will Baltimore have power? Will the field be playable?
- The Tigers over the Twins: The Twins offer no resistance as Brian Duensing has lost his way and Brad Penny somehow gets it done.
- The Pirates over the Cardinals: Can't be any more disappointed by a team than the Cardinals. What a fall. Second year in a row too. Jeff Karstens over Kyle Lohse. Could be high scoring. But the Pirates have a better bullpen.
- The White Sox over the Mariners: Gavin Floyd has been good of late and Jason Vargas should put up only mild resistance.
- The Dodgers over the Rockies: The Dodgers and Matt Kemp are on a roll. Kemp has been the player of the year. Nathan Eovaldi has an artistic name and the pitching cred to match. Jhoulys Chacin goes for the Rockies.
- The Giants over the Astros: Hard to pick against Matt Cain at home even if Bud Norris will put up a spirited defense.
- The Diamondbacks over the Padres. Love Cory Luebke, but love Ian Kennedy more.
- The Angels over the Rangers: This Fan eats crow as Jared Weaver wins despite this picker's protestations in yesterday's post. Colby Lewis has been maddening. Better get Feldman loose early.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Brewers over the Cubs: Zack Greinke versus Casey Coleman sure looks like a mismatch. The Brewers never lose at home. Well...they never lose anywhere lately.
Last week: 53-42
Games of the Day: 91-54