This game picker had his face squashed by yesterday's picks. Perhaps that was just punishment for challenging the Yankees' manhood. If so, perhaps it was deserved. In fact, one of those bad picks was the Red Sox who actually lost a game that A.J. Burnett started. Interesting. Elsewhere, little went right, or at least according to this picker's thoughts. Gio Gonzalez became the kind of pitcher that this picker thought all those times the picks for him went sour. Go Figure. Forty year old Miguel Bautista won a game. Amazing. A Dodger's rookie pitcher pitched the game of his life. Where did that come from? In the Royals - Tigers game, starters Jacob Turner and Danny Duffy had nothing. Then Aaron Crow had nothing. And then the Royals said, "Coke me." And Coke choked. Sheesh.
So September didn't exactly start on the right foot. Bob Netherton is probably chuckling that another Brewers' pick went south. Ahem. But even with a bad night last night, the week is still a good one. Let's just forget yesterday happened and focus on Friday's picks shall we?
- The Cubs over the Pirates: Brian Burres makes the start for the Pirates. He was 5-9 with an ERA near five in Triple A. Hardly inspiring. Ryan Dempster is usually a good pick at home.
- The Tigers over the White Sox: Until somebody beats him, Justin Verlander has to get the pick. John Danks goes for the White Sox.
- The Nationals over the Mets: Ross Detwiler was rhapsodized here in this place and then went out and threw a stinker. Time to make up for making this picker look silly, Mr. Detwiler. R.A. Dickey won't be in-vested in this time. Did you get it? Oh, never mind.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: Brandon Morrow is like a young A.J. Burnett, which means he could very well shut down the Yankees, right? But Ivan Nova is the Yankees' good luck charm.
- The Bay Rays over the Orioles: David Price is back to pitching goose eggs. Zach Britton was good his last time out too. The Bay Rays struggle offensively, so the Price better be right.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Brad Hand is a lefty. That's the only thing good you can say about this match up with Roy Oswalt.
- The Rangers over the Red Sox: Andrew Miller is a lefty and without Nelson Cruz, the perpetually injured outfielder, the Rangers are vulnerable. Kevin Youkilis is back for the Red Sox. So why is this picker picking the Rangers? Derek Holland comes up big.
- The Braves over the Dodgers: Chad Billingsley is just ordinary on the road. Brandon Beachy, meanwhile, has been blowing the place up lately.
- The Indians over the Royals: The Fan keeps blithely picking the Indians like they are a good team or something. The Royals are playing good baseball and feature Bruce Chen and his voodoo pitching. But Justin Masterson might win this game all by himself.
- The Cardinals over the Reds: Okay, Cardinals, you win. You're not dead yet. Chris Carpenter over Johnny Cueto.
- The Padres over the Rockies: Aaron Harang was born to pitch in San Diego. Kevin Millwood was born to be sucking down milkshakes at his age.
- The Twins over the Angels: Jared Weaver went to a funeral. That'll teach the Angels to pitch him on short rest. Tyler Chatwood is about the same as Carl Pavano, meaning the Twins have a chance to win.
- The Athletics over the Mariners: Guillermo Moscoso won't soon forget his trip to Boston. But the Mariners are no Red Sox. And Jason Vargas looks lost.
- The Diamondbacks over the Giants: Let's see...Joe Saunders beat the Padres. The Padres hit better than the Giants. Matt Cain is good to give up two to three runs. Sounds right.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Brewers over the Astros: Lucas Harrell is starting for the Astros. Who? Apparently he is a guy the Astros claimed on waivers from the White Sox. He has a good minor league record. But odds are that he is a AAAA pitcher. Either way, Zack Greinke wins.
Games of the Day: 95-55