Labor Day Weekend is turning into a labor picking games. Those dang Cardinals have become this vortex of bad picking. Pick them to lose and they win. Pick them to win and they lose. This time, Chris Carpenter came up a crapper. One pick was brilliant though. It was predicted that Derek Holland would come up big against the Red Sox and did he ever. That is how to pitch to the Red Sox. Aggressive and don't walk anyone. Well done. Ivan Nova won again for the Yankees. Riding him like a jockey in an ostrich race.
The Astros had the Brewers, 2-0 after six innings. Unfortunately, this isn't Little League and they play nine innings. Final score, 8-2. Good pick. Brandon Beachy had the Braves in good shape when he was pulled. Chad Billingsley was terrible as predicted. But the Braves' bullpen blew the game. How many times has that happened this year? Try none. Bad pick. David Price was brilliant through six innings. But again, games go nine innings. Price blew the game and the pick in the seventh. The Twins whacked Tyler Chatwood. Good pick. And as always, Justin Verlander was a good pick.
And thus it went. Up. Down. Up. Down. Oh well. Perhaps Saturday will get the picker over this mini slump:
- The Pirates over the Cubs: This first pick is a stinker. It's Ross Ohlendorf and his 6.27 ERA versus Casey Coleman and his 7.10 ERA. Oy vey.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: The Jays will feature their best pitcher in Ricky Romero and Bartolo Colon is a risk against a fastball hitting team. But the Yankees at home are tough.
- The Athletics over the Mariners: Brandon McCarthy has been dominant lately but faces a well-rested Michael Pineda. Could be a bullpen game with the edge to the A's.
- The White Sox over the Tigers: Ozzie's team doesn't give up and Gavin Floyd should be better than Brad Penny.
- The Cardinals over the Reds: Hmm...Should just go opposites in this game. But still thinking Jaime Garcia wins at home over Homer Bailey. Bailey should give up a couple of gophers.
- The Red Sox over the Rangers: Erik Bedard should be better than Colby Lewis in this one, especially with the Red Sox at home.
- The Bay Rays over the Orioles: Tough game to call. Alfredo Simon has been pretty good for the Orioles and Wade Davis got roughed up in his last start. The Rays have trouble hitting at home. Thinking here is that the Rays win a close one with Farnsworth getting a save.
- The Brewers over the Astros: Chris Narveson has missed time with a cut on his hand. How well he pitches will decide this game as Bud Norris will keep the Astros in the game.
- The Mets over the Nationals: Dillon Gee is the Ivan Nova of the Mets. The guy hardly ever loses. Tom Milone makes his major league debut for the Nats.
- The Indians over the Royals: This one will be close as David (Hassle) Huff and Luke Hochevar have been pitching well. The Indians will find a way to win while the Royals will find a way to lose.
- The Braves over the Dodgers: A battle of good young pitchers as Mike Minor out duels Nathan Eovaldi. Beware of Minor's sixth inning though.
- The Padres over the Rockies: Will take Cory Luebke at home any day of the week. Alex White has struggled with the Rockies but will pitch well in San Diego.
- The Diamondbacks over the Giants: Yes, Ian Kennedy will out pitch Tim Lincecum. That's right. He will.
- The Angels over the Twins: Jared Weaver is back for the Angels and that should mean a win over the struggling Brian Duensing.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Cole Hamels just has to get Mike Stanton out and the Phillies win over Ricky (Go Figure) Nolasco.
Games of the Day: 96-55