The last four full scheduled days had me on a streak of 8-7 finishes. Last night saw two games postponed because of weather and I finished 8-5. So what does that say? Would I have finished 8-7 if those two games had been played? The way it has been going, probably.
David Ortiz has hit four home runs in the last two days against the Twins. You would think the Twins would get up in his grill a little bit. At the very least, work around the guy. Congrats to Anthony DeSclafani for his first Major League win. The guy done himself proud.
- The Reds over the Padres: This is the makeup game from yesterday. And I still think it will be a good pitchers' duel with Johnny Cueto being slightly better than Ian Kennedy.
- The Red Sox over the Twins: There are a lot of things going on here. Clay Buchholz has started the season miserably. But he was better his last time out. Phil Hughes has had a very good start to his season, but I'm not so sure he can hold off the hot Boston team.
- The Cardinals over the Cubs: These two teams were rained out yesterday and that game won't be made up until the end of August. But the two pitchers from yesterday are still scheduled to start today. That said, I'll still take Michael Wacha over Jason Hammel in a close game.
- The Padres over the Reds: I could not find who was starting for the Reds today no matter where I looked. Even Twitter failed me. That said, I'll go with the Padres and Robbie Ross.
- The Indians over the Blue Jays: The Indians are playing better and the concern with the Blue Jays is always the pitching. For example, today's game will be started by J.A. Happ. Happ has an occasional good day followed usually by nine bad ones. Danny Salazar has to throw strikes and get ahead in the count against the powerful Jays' lineup.
- The Mets over the Yankees: This will be a fascinating day in Citi Field as two pitchers make their Major League debuts. I have no idea whether Jacob deGrom and his flying hair will be any better than Chase Whitley. I only pick it this way because deGrom has had more time at Triple A than Whitley.
- The Royals over the Orioles: The Royals have given the O's a handful in the last two days. And then they get the flame thrower, Yordano Ventura. Have fun with that. Wei-Yin Chen goes for the Orioles.
- The Angels over the Bay Rays: I have had good success sticking with Tyler Skaggs, so I will do so again. I like him and feel the Angels stole a good pitcher here in the off season. The Rays will start Erik Bedard. Eh.
- The Marlins over the Giants: Is Matt Cain the Giants' Sabathia? After all those innings, Cain has seemingly hit a wall. Meanwhile, Nathan Eovaldi is throwing gas, but not always getting the results to go with it.
And the Game of the Day
- The Brewers over the Pirates: I always like to pick Yovani Gallardo at home and Wandy Rodriguez just cannot seem to get going due to injuries and rust.
Yesterday: 8-5, May: 106-89, Games of the Day: 19-22, Season: 339-261