June began with a 9-6 day and I would be okay with that except the Game of the Day pick was incorrect...AGAIN! I figured Zack Greinke was pretty much a lock at home. I figured wrong. Every other ace won. But not Zack Greinke. There is no light at the end of that feature's tunnel. And the Yankees pick was correct for eight innings. Unfortunately, they play nine innings. What a spectacular blown save that was.
Monday is a short day with only eight games on the schedule. Here are the picks:
- The Indians over the Red Sox: This pick only works if Justin Masterson has a good day. He has had some good games against Boston over the years and some bad ones. He is the key. John Lackey has been awfully good, but less so on the road. Masterson has led the league the last two years in hitting batters. That aught to be fun.
- The Mets over the Phillies: The game will probably go into extra innings again. Heh. I like Bartolo Colon over Roberto Hernandez here.
- The Rays over the Marlins: The Rays went zero for the weekend, so you just know they are going to win today. That's how it always works. Alex Cobb came back dominant and should be today in that big ballpark. Randy Wolf? Not so much.
- The Twins over the Brewers: Kyle Gibson has been very good this season. Matt Garza is 2-4. So are the Brewers losing you wins too, Matt? Maybe you lose your own wins, son.
- The Cardinals over the Royals: Danny Duffy has the stuff to do well. But he cannot put it together as a starter. I'm not sure why. Watch him do so tonight as I pick against him. I picked him last time and he was bombed. Shelby Miller goes for the Cards.
- The Dodgers over the White Sox: Jose Abreu should be back. Jose Quintana is better than people think and none of that will matter if Clayton Kershaw is on his game. He hasn't always been since he got back though.
- The Pirates over the Padres: This might be a reaction to the last time I picked Tim Stauffer to win. I've always liked him, so I picked him and he did not get out of the first inning. Charlie Morton is a better pitcher than I've ever given him credit for, but I still don't inwardly believe it.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Mariners over the Yankees: Felix Hernandez loves pitching against the Yankees and isn't it kind of the Mariners to save him up for the makeup game today? The Yankees are slumping at the plate and David Phelps can't match zeroes with the King.
Yesterday: 9-6, June: 9-6, Games of the Day: 26-32, Season: 465-383