Corey Kluber deserved better. The only run that scored while he was pitching was this stupid play by Ryan Raburn who failed to catch a sliding attempt at the ball in the eighth inning and then inexplicably spiked the ball in the ground allowing that same runner to score. Kluber should have won pitching nine innings of two-hit ball as he struck out ten. Instead, the game went into extra innings with a 1-1 tie and his team eventually lost. Along the way, my Game of the Day pick went with it.
But otherwise, it was a good day as the picks went 7-4. I got all the afternoon games correct but the later games gave me some problems. Maybe the picks were up past their bedtime.
- The Cardinals over the Cubs: Travis Wood simply isn't throwing the ball well and while the Cards never like going to Chicago, I think they will get this one with Joe Kelly on the mound. They should have kept Tavares up though.
- The Diamondbacks over the Phillies: Wade Miley has been on a roll and the Phillies don't handle lefty pitching well. Besides, Kyle Kendrick has been pitching and he has been on the opposite of a roll.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: Mark Buehrle has always had trouble with the Yankees and with Yankee Stadium. The Yankees can stack up a lot of right-handed bats including their new third baseman, Chase Headley. Hiroki Kuroda will need to have a good night.
- The Rays over the Red Sox: This one may well be decided by the bullpens but I think David Price is just a smidge above Jon Lester and David Ortiz hurt himself yesterday so that isn't good for the Red Sox.
- The Nationals over the Reds: Let's see if Alfredo Simon is beginning to turn back into a pumpkin as the Yankees beat him last time out. Tanner Roark is one of my favorite picks if you haven't noticed.
- The Braves over the Padres: I have to pick against one of my favorite pitchers here in Jessie Hahn (Chaka Hahn, Chaka Hahn). But the Braves are a better team and Alex Wood has been really good lately.
- The White Sox over the Twins: You watch, I'll make this pick and the White Sox will trade John Danks to somebody today. That's always the danger this time of year. Either way, the White Sox should beat Kevin Correia and the Twins.
- The Royals over the Indians: Are these two teams difficult to figure out or what? Take this game (please!). Josh Tomlin hasn't been great and Yordano Ventura can go from brilliant to brutal in any given game. Plus the two teams played fourteen innings yesterday and combined for thirteen hits. Nice.
- The Astros over the Marlins: I have no idea who will win this game. Brad Hand versus Dallas Keuchel. Your guess is as good as mine.
- The Mets over the Brewers: I've really burnt my brain on this one going back and forth. Yovani Gallardo is tough to beat at home. But he hasn't been so much so this season. Zack Wheeler has given up exactly one run in each of his last four starts. So basically, the decision was to go with Wheeler.
- The Pirates over the Rockies: Oh dear. It's another of those "who knows" picks. Charlie Morton at Coors Field sounds frightening. But not quite as frightening as Brett Anderson pitching there for the Rockies. Yeesh. And Tulowitzki is on the disabled list.
- The Angels over the Tigers: Tyler Skaggs has been roughed up a bit in his last two starts, but I still like the guy's stuff. I like it more than The Emoticon, Drew Smyly's stuff. And in case you haven't been following along, a smyly face is an emoticon.
- The Mariners over the Orioles: Felix Hernandez has been so good that it's scary to pick him. You figure every pitcher has a hiccup once in a while and he seems due. But then if he pitches as great as he is, the Orioles won't have a chance. Kevin Gausman can bring it too, so the M's have to score to win.
- The Dodgers over the Giants: This game comes down to who has a better chance to stop the opposition, Zack Greinke or Tim Lincecum. I would have to go with Greinke. If the Dodgers don't get this division done, Mattingly might not survive.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Athletics over the Rangers: Desperate for any pitching whatsoever, the Rangers picked up Jerome Williams, which is fine for Oakland because they are very familiar with him from his days with the Angels. Yeah, that was a good idea. Jason Hammel with the win.
Yesterday: 7-4, July: 161-124, Games of the Day: 59-47, Season: 844-699