Wednesday, August 06, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: August 6, 2014

I finally broke the August doldrums with a 10-5 day. It was a struggle early as I think I was 6-5 after the earlier games. But then I swept the West Coast to finish strong. Gosh, it feels good to have a decent day after all that crap.
Of course, I cannot exult too much after picking the White Sox to win. That pick was only off by sixteen runs. The usually reliable Jesse Hahn made one mistake that led to a three-run homer and was beaten by Phil Hughes. I blame Chris McBrien who picked Hahn up in his fantasy league. That guy ruins everything. Heh.
Wednesday's picks:
  • The Padres over the Twins: Yeah. This pick didn't work out yesterday. And the last two times I picked Odrisamer Despaigne to win, he made me look silly as he was awful. That said, he is facing Kevin Correia after all.
  • The White Sox over the Rangers: Yeah. This pick was embarrassing yesterday. But it's Chris Sale day. He has to be better than what's gone on so far. He better go nine innings though. Nick Tepesch goes for the Rangers.
  • The Athletics over the Rays; The Rays are a proud bunch, but I think they were a bit deflated when David Price was traded. Jeremy Hellickson will try to pick up some of the slack today, but he faces my man, Sonny Gray. Every day should be a Sonny Gray Day.
  • The Mariners over the BravesChris Young simply wins at home. Period. He struggles on the road, but hardly ever at home. It's uncanny. Julio Teheran goes for the Braves and he has been quite up and down this season.
  • The Tigers over the Yankees: The Yankees should have won that game yesterday. They had the Tigers, 3-1. Kuroda pitched one too many innings. Justin Verlander will be the weakest pitcher the Yankees face this series, but they counter with Chris Capuano. Ick.
  • The Phillies over the AstrosBrad Peacock has not been good. It has not been pretty. David Buchanan is back for the Phillies and you have to wonder why he ever left. He's a pretty good pitcher.
  • The Marlins over the Pirates: I like Jeff Locke. I always have. But you are playing a bit into the Marlins' hand when you throw a left-hander against them. I also think the Pirates are a bit lost without McCutchen in the lineup. And lastly, I like Tom Koehler. Granted, he isn't as good on the road, but still.
  • The Orioles over the Blue Jays: The last time Drew Hutchison faced the Orioles was two months ago and he shut them out for seven innings. But Hutchison has fallen on hard times and hasn't pitched a good game in a while. Wei-Yin Chen keeps winning.
  • The Reds over the Indians: I have debated the Mat Latos / Danny Salazar match-up over and over in my head and it comes down to the fact that I don't trust Salazar enough to pick him in this game. When on, both of these pitchers are lights out. But even if they both are, then the Reds' bullpen is better.
  • The Brewers over the Giants: The Giants are 25-31 since the end of May and yet are still only a game and a half back of the Dodgers. Ryan Vogelsong was very good against the Mets his last time out. But Yovani Gallardo at home usually works for me.
  • The Red Sox over the CardinalsShelby Miller and Joe Kelly have been really good friends and went through the farm system together. So it should be very interesting. Kelly has not been completely healthy but Miller hasn't been completely where he pitched last year either. This has a good chance of being wrong.
  • The Cubs over the RockiesJake Arrieta gentille Arrieta beat the Rockies at home the last time he faced them. But Coors is a different animal. I still pick the Cubs though because Jordan Lyles is pitching for the first time since June 4.
  • The Royals over the DiamondbacksJosh Collmenter has had a pretty good season. His team has not. The only question is which Yordano Ventura shows up tonight. If it not the good one, seeya pick.
  • The Angels over the Dodgers: This has turned into one heck of a series. Unfortunately, the Dodgers still have Dan Haren in their rotation. Why, I have no idea. That said, I favor Matt Shoemaker, my new mancrush. Shoemaker just wins, baby.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Nationals over the Mets: Just like the pick before, I have always liked Jon Niese as a pitcher. When he is on, he is tough. Doug Fister, however, is on fire and is a big reason the Nats have now built a three game lead in the division.
Yesterday: 10-5, August: 36-31, Games of the Day: 66-52, Season: 930-778

No comments: