Last night started with two straight incorrect picks. The Pittsburgh Pirates rode some poor umpiring en route to their first foray above .500 in a mighty long time. And the Tigers jumped on Brandon Morrow and then jumped harder on the Blue Jays' bullpen to the tune of ten total runs. The recent pattern was to get the early games correct and then watch the day crumble with the late games. But the trend reversed last night and the picks went 5-1 the rest of the way with the White Sox win over the Angels the only other blemish. Not bad.
Tuesday brings us back to a full slate of games. What a wonderful thing (unless it gives you nightmares). Here are Tuesday's picks:
- The Yankees over the Royals: While this pick is no ringing endorsement of Freddie Garcia, it is heavily a slap at Kyle Davies.
- The Pirates over the Dodgers: The Pirates two games over .500? It could happen with Correia pitching against familiar West Coast. This is a rematch with Ted Lilly that the Pirates won last time.
- The Mariners over the Orioles: Uh oh. Michael Pineda is pitching. That dream! Does it foretell of a Pineda meltdown? Nah. The Mariners ride Pineda's arm for a win over Jake Arrieta.
- The Indians over the Bay Rays: Josh Tomlin is 4-1 with a 2.36 ERA. But he is a home run machine that this writer still doesn't trust. But, he faces Andy Sonnanstine making his first start of the year replacing the injured Niemann. Sonnanstine's career ERA against the Indians? 9.51.
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: It's been painful to watch the Blue Jays melt down into nothingness. Several of this writers favorite blogs are written by Toronto writers and their pain is evident. Their boy, Kyle Drabek runs into Jon Lester tonight. More pain ahead.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Here is the match up that everyone has been waiting for: Roy Halladay versus Josh Johnson. Here's why Halladay always wins: He can finish his own game. Johnson can't because he throws too many pitches. Edge: Halladay.
- The Braves over the Nationals: Jason Marquis has an 8.00 career ERA against the Braves. They match up well against him with all their good right-handed bats. Tim Hudson with the win.
- The Astros over the Reds: The upset pick of the day. Brett Myers comes up big and the Astros get to Homer Bailey.
- The Athletics over the Rangers: The Rangers are sinking. They are under .500 as their schedule has been brutal. It gets no easier tonight with Colby Lewis facing the tough Brett Anderson.
- The Cardinals over the Cubs: Carlos Zambrano has been good. But Chris Carpenter is way due for a big performance and a win.
- The Tigers over the Twins: It's weird to say that there is more trust at this point for Rick Porcello than for a guy that just threw a no-hitter. But that's the gist of it. Liriano gets the loss.
- The Rockies over the Mets: Jason Hammel has been seriously good of late. Mike Pelfrey has two quality starts in his last three attempts. But the Rockies win this one.
- The White Sox over the Angels: That dream! [[shiver]] John Danks is 0-5 despite an ERA under five. It's high time he wins. Joel Pineiro has been good since his return from the DL.
- The Giants over the Diamondbacks: On any given day, Tim Lincecum can beat anyone...even Ian Kennedy.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Brewers over the Padres: That win by Greinke had to boost the Brewers' confidence. Shaun Marcum continues the good vibe with a win at home over Clayton Richard.
Games of the Day: 19-21 Rallying!