Eight of the fifteen games played on Wednesday will be day games. That always makes for a fun day as a Fan. The picks for today are as follows:
- The Red Sox over the Indians: Don't tell the Red Sox about the Indians' home record. Jon Lester is on the mound today against Mitch Talbot, who is just coming off the disabled list. Should be an easy win in a game that starts at 12:05 ET.
- The Pirates over the Braves: Everyone keeps saying that Mike Minor is a good prospect, but he's never shown anything in the bigs. He gets the start tonight against James McDonald, who has been throwing well. The Braves offense is bleak.
- The Tigers over the Bay Rays: How can one pick a game started by Andy Sonnanstine and Brad Penny? Yeesh. Going with the Tigers at home.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: Another head scratcher. Jo-Jo Reyes is winless in his last 27 starts but is pitching better. Freddie Garcia has a lifetime ERA of 6.06 against the Blue Jays. Again going with the home team.
- The Mariners over the Twins: The Twins are showing some life but Brian Duensing has been struggling. Erik Bedard has been great his last two starts, but one of them was against the Padres in a big ballpark. Another tough call.
- The Brewers over the Nationals: Jason Marquis has been very good for the Nationals but faces a tough line up in their home ballpark. Plus, he is matched up with Zack Greinke who is looking to go to 3-1 today.
- The Rangers over the White Sox: C. J. Wilson needs a big game against a suddenly potent White Sox offense. Sometimes you have to dig a little bit when making these picks. Gavin Floyd starts for the White Sox and is having a good year. But, he is 4-0 in night games and 1-3 in day games. Today is a day game.
- The Dodgers over the Astros: Ted Lilly is a serviceable pitcher, which is more than you can say about Aneury Rodriguez, a starter that taxes the bullpen every time out.
- The Cardinals over the Padres: Chris Carpenter and Matt Latos are a combined 2-10. Would you have guessed that before the season started? It seems these two starters cancel each other out. The prediction here is that Albert Pujols has a big game.
- The Orioles over the Royals: Another game that's dicey. Jake Arrieta was bombed his last time out but is still 5-2. Luke Hochevar was great his last time out, but hasn't been good overall. Flip a coin.
- The Mets over the Cubs: The Mets sure looked lifeless yesterday. But Dillon Gee never seems to lose. Meanwhile, Casey Coleman has a 9.69 ERA at home this year. The Cubs are at home.
- The Diamondbacks over the Rockies: This Fan loves him some Ian Kennedy. Riding him for the win today. Jason Hammel has been good this year though.
- The Athletics over the Angels: Trevor Cahill is very good. And he's even better against the Angels. Ervin Santana was brilliant his last time out. This might be another 1-0 game.
- The Giants over the Marlins: Chris Volstad is a weak link in the Marlins' rotation. But he did have a shutout once in San Francisco. On the other hand, Madison Bumgarner was brilliant in his last start and finally won a game.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Reds: Remember the last time Roy Halladay faced Reds? Yeah. Book the win over Travis Wood and the Reds.
Games of the Day: 30-25