Thursday was not a good day of picking here. Despite a brilliant pick of the Athletics over the Tigers (to halt that win streak), the picks were incorrect six times in ten attempts. The sad display put a small damper on what has been a great week. Just to show you how bad a night it was, Ross Ohlendorf won a game. Not only did he win a game, but instead of giving up the home runs, he hit one himself. It was just one of those days.
The season is winding down. It's getting cold here in northern Maine. Darkness is coming earlier. This Fan doesn't want it to end. But soon it will. Friday's picks:
- The Cubs over the Astros: The Cubs are at home with Matt Garza on the mound. That should overcome good pitching from Wandy Rodriguez.
- The Angels over the Orioles: The Angels need to keep winning to stay in the Rangers' zip code. Dan Haren should help them do that tonight. Tommy Hunter isn't bad though and it seems the Orioles are enjoying the spoiler role.
- The Marlins over the Nationals: Javier Vazquez has been really good of late and should hold the Nats down. John Lannon has been going in the wrong direction.
- The Phillies over the Cardinals: The Phillies are the best team in the National League. Vance Worley has been solid all season. And they are at home where they want to clinch. Jaime Garcia has had an up and down season.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: C.C. Sabathia again goes for win Number 20 and faces Brett Cecil in Toronto.
- The Brewers over the Reds: Bronson Arroyo has given up 40 homers. Can you believe that? It will be at least 42 after tonight. Randy Wolf goes for the Brew Crew.
- The Red Sox over the Bay Rays: James Shields has been great, but Fenway is not a fun place for him. Josh Beckett is back for the Red Sox and how good he is will be the determining factor in this game.
- The Braves over the Mets: The Mets are caving pretty hard right now which is a good thing for the Braves who need to win. Derek Lowe must give up less than four runs to win. Chris Capuano goes for the Mets.
- The Royals over the White Sox: Phil Humber has been good this season but it appears the White Sox have quit. The Royals meanwhile are rockin' and rollin' with their young bats. Felipe Paulino had a great outing last time out.
- The Indians over the Twins: This season can't get over fast enough for the Twins. Ubaldo Jimenez gets a win and Kevin Slowey does not.
- The Diamondbacks over the Padres: Tim Stauffer has not been the same pitcher in his last three outings. Worried about him. Wade Miley should have a good game in the Padres' pitcher's park.
- The Tigers over the Athletics: It would almost seem appropriate if Doug Fister won the clincher. He has been great since coming over from the Mariners. Trevor Cahill has been a mystery this season.
- The Dodgers over the Pirates: Hiroki Kuroda is almost a lock at home. Speaking of locks, Jeff Locke makes his second start of the season. It should be better than his first one but it won't be enough.
- The Rangers over the Mariners: C.J. Wilson is the man for the Rangers. He should beat Blake Bleavan though Bleavan will have a chip on his shoulder since he was originally drafted by the Rangers.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Giants over the Rockies: Madison Bumgarner has the kind of stuff to succeed at Coors Field. Alex White does not.
Games of the Day: 103-61