A late rally had to patch up early mistakes in yesterday's picks. Those dang Cardinals! They hoodwinked this picker into thinking they finally got themselves together and thus they became the Game of the Day. And then they totally ralph in their game. Why wouldn't LaRussa let McClellan finish the game instead of just pitching an inning? The Phillies also lost, which is almost shocking. They never lose. Atlanta lost to the Marlins in extras. That's not helping their cause. The Mets kicked the ball around on starter R.A. Dickey, which blew his well pitched game and the pick. But the Yankees, the A's, the Tigers, the Diamondbacks, the Giants and the Bay Rays were all good picks. Speaking of the Yankees, they caught King Felix on an off night.
Back to a full schedule on Tuesday: Here are the picks:
- The Cardinals over the Pirates: Let's try this again. Chris Carpenter, who is on the verge of signing a two year extension to keep pitching for the Cardinals, gets the win over Jeff Karstens.
- The Bay Rays over the Orioles: David Price makes quick work of the Orioles as the Bay Rays win their sixth in a row over Alfredo Simon and the Orioles.
- The Reds over the Cubs: This one should be lower scoring than last night's game. Ryan Dempster isn't as successful on the road as he is at home. Mike Leake should be decent at home.
- The Braves over the Marlins: The Braves have to win sooner or later. Might as well be tonight with Mike Minor on the mound against Brad Hand. Hand has been pretty good but is 1-6 to show for it.
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: Tim Wakefield ends the 200 win saga on his eighth try at home for his appreciative home crowd. Brandon Morrow will again throw too many pitches by the fifth inning.
- The Nationals over the Mets: Chien-Ming Wang needs to get through the first inning. If he can do that, he'll shut down the Mets and beat Dillon Gee.
- The Rangers over the Indians: Justin Masterson is leaking a little bit. Perhaps he is tired as he's never pitched this much in a season. Matt Harrison has to be good at home to win this game.
- The Phillies over the Astros: As Cuzco said in The Emporer's New Groove, "Don't read anything into it. It was a one time thing," when discussing last night's loss. Cole Hamels over J.A. Happ.
- The Tigers over the White Sox: Justin Verlander hasn't been quite as lights out lately, but he'll beat the White Sox and Gavin Floyd.
- The Royals over the Twins: Two pitchers in Bruce Chen and Carl Pavano that are stubborn beyond their stuff. The Royals have the better offense.
- The Angels over the Athletics: Guillermo Moscoso has been very good, but Jerome Williams has been quite the story for the Angels.
- The Diamondbacks over the Dodgers: The Fan's man-crush, Ian Kennedy, goes for win number twenty against Chad Billingsley (who should be decent at home).
- The Yankees over the Mariners: The Yankees have trouble with pitchers they haven't seen before like tonight against Charlie Furbush. But dare this picker pick A.J. Burnett twice in a row? Gracious.
- The Padres over the Giants: Just a hunch here that Cory Luebke will hold down the Giants and the Padres will dink a couple of runs off of Matt Cain.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Brewers over the Rockies: The Brewers can get on with clinching the division with another step closer behind Zack Greinke at home. Esmil Rogers goes for the Rockies.
Games of the Day: 102-59