Last night was like sitting in front of a slot machine. The first two slots settle in with sevens and now the heart is racing and anticipation builds. The third slot is still spinning and the eyes dilate and squint. The slot slows and...and...it's a three. Perhaps to continue the analogy, the whole experience is still okay because you are heading up to the room after a day on the casino floor with more money in the wallet than when the session started.
It's been a good week. A very good week. But yesterday was shaping up to be especially good. And then the Bay Rays lost and the Yankees lost and the Brewers lost. Three contenders that bit the dust against second division teams. The Yankees were the Game of the Day, so that one rankles a bit on top of that Ivan Nova, another Fan man-crush, pitched great but didn't get a win. Of course, through this entire post to this point, no mention has been made of how bad a pick the Twins was. That must have been an extreme moment of insanity.
Ten games are on the schedule for Thursday. Two of them are a double-header between the Phillies and the Marlins. Here are the picks:
- The Mets over the Nationals: Two untested pitchers make for an impossible pick. Tom Milone goes for the Nats while Chris Schwinden goes for the Mets. Two household names, eh? The Mets are due for a win and are at home.
- The Marlins over the Phillies: Game one of the double dip features Kyle Kendrick versus Anibal Sanchez. Sanchez is the better pitcher. If this is the game the Phillies rest some guys, the Marlins might squeak out a win.
- The Cubs over the Reds: Randy Wells is on a roll and is the biggest factor in this one between two somewhat even teams. Homer Bailey goes for the Reds.
- The Bay Rays over the Red Sox: Unnecessary panic in Boston continues as the Red Sox can counter Jeremy Hellickson with only Kyle Weiland.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: In the back end of the double-header, Cliff Lee seems like a lock over Alex Sanabia making his first start of the season.
- The Rangers over the Indians: The Indians have provided the Rangers with no resistance thus far in the series. That will continue tonight. Alexi Ogando versus Fausto Carmona.
- The White Sox over the Royals: The Royals are playing well but this picker likes Mark Buehrle over Jeff Francis. Sitting here wondering about both of their managers after the season.
- The Rockies over the Giants: Jhoulys Chacin must be the good version to win this one. But he doesn't have to be that good as the Giants (aside from Beltran) still can't hit. Ryan Vogelsong can't get any run support and will struggle at Coors.
- The Athletics over the Tigers: The smart pick would seem to be with Max Scherzer and a team that has won thirteen straight. The Tigers have to lose some time and Brandon McCarthy has been a heck of a pitcher in the second half.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Dodgers over the Pirates: Ross Ohlendorf has been helpless thus far. Terrible. Meanwhile, Dana Eveland has been brilliant for the Dodgers.
Games of the Day: 103-60