Thursday was not kind. I finally stopped picking the Yankees and they won. Cliff Lee did not get the job done. The Diamondbacks are on the rise. The Mets, Astros and White Sox all won, which floors me. Oh well. It was a bad day.
On to the next one. Friday's picks:
- The Red Sox over the Yankees: When is the last time CC Sabathia pitched well against the Red Sox? It's okay, I'll wait...right...I can't remember either. Jon Lester for the win.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Jose Fernandez is not the lock on the road that he is at home. A.J. Burnett is due for a good game. I just see the Phillies winning this one and any other pick would not sit well.
- The Orioles over the Blue Jays: Dustin McGowan has a tough lineup to navigate and he is the Blue Jays' fifth starter. Chris Tillman is the Orioles' number one starter, so this pick makes sense.
- The Rays over the Reds: Despite the Rays losing a bat in the lineup in an NL park, I like David Price over Johnny Cueto here.
- The Nationals over the Braves: Tanner Roark has only given up one big league homer in close to 60 innings pitched. That is pretty impressive. Julio Teheran is always capable of a big outing though.
- The Rangers over the Astros: This one was made with a bit of reservation. Scott Feldman has been very good so far this season and the Rangers are without Adrian Beltre. Yu Darvish, though, can pitch like he did last time and that changes things.
- The White Sox over the Indians: The White Sox are not the dead team they were last year. Chris Sale is already 2-0 and pitching well. Carlos Carrasco strikes out people, but gives up runs too.
- The Royals over the Twins: This pick all depends on how well Bruce Chen pitches on the road, which usually isn't very good. But the Twins struggle on offense. Kyle Gibson is just decent enough to win once in a while.
- The Pirates over the Brewers: The NL Central is very interesting. Francisco Liriano needs to bounce back in this one and the Pirates need to get to Wily Peralta early.
- The Cardinals over the Cubs: Only Jeff Samardzija makes this one interesting. Otherwise it is an easy Joe Kelly pick.
- The Diamondbacks over the Dodgers: The Dbacks are coming back fierce here lately. Brandon McCarthy has apparently picked up some life on his fastball according to one story I read yesterday. So let's go that way with him over Hyun-jin Ryu.
- The Angels over the Mets: Hey, look. The Mets can play Lucas Duda and Ike Davis in this one with the DH. Even so, I'm going with Tyler Skaggs over Dillon Gee.
- The Tigers over the Padres: Lots of weird series this weekend. What are the Tigers doing all the way over in San Diego? Strange. Rick Porcello was my guy for a surprise season, so I am sticking with him. Andrew Cashner is tough though.
- The Mariners over the Athletics: I have to go with Felix Hernandez at home. Tommy Milone makes a start for the A's. They will be hoping he can help that rotation.
And the Game of the Day
- The Giants over the Rockies: The Rockies traditionally don't hit as well on the road and Madison Bumgarner looks tough so far early this season. Jorge De La Rosa has way too many names.
Yesterday: 3-6, Games of the Day: 4-4, Season: 80-60