I have had the worst case of bronchitis I have ever had in my life the last week and a half. So I have felt disassociated from the games and what is going on. My sole focus has been on getting rest and getting better. Even so, except for a really bad day the other day, the picks have gone pretty well. I just hope I can shake this thing soon because the season looks like it has started in a very interesting way.
There are sixteen games on the schedule today including a double-header between the Indians and the Padres. Here are Wednesday's picks:
- The Indians over the Padres: I'll take Zach McAllister in the first game over Eric Stults.
- The Padres over the Indians: And then I will take the Padres in the second game. Trevor Bauer is pitching for the Indians and when is the last time that has ever gone well? Robbie Erlin goes for the Padres.
- The Twins over the Athletics: Jesse Chavez pitched well for the A's in his first start of the season, but he is pretty much a journeyman pitcher. So I don't put much stock in that. Phil Hughes will have to pitch much better than he did in his first outing. The question is whether he is capable of doing that anymore.
- The Cardinals over the Reds: Shelby Miller doesn't have a good track record to go by here, but this might be a high scoring game where the bullpens win or lose it anyway. If that happens, it's the Cards. Mike Leake goes for the Reds.
- The Rays over the Royals: This one should go the same as last night with a low score and the Rays ending up on top. Jake Odorizzi goes against Jeremy Guthrie.
- The Rockies over the White Sox: The White Sox blew up Coors yesterday, but Juan Nicasio is pretty good at pitching there for the Rockies. And Erik Johnson has not gotten his feet under him yet in the Majors. Coors won't help.
- The Rangers over the Red Sox: I think Jake Peavy is going to struggle in Texas. I also think that Robbie Ross or Robert Ross or whatever he is calling himself these days, will hold the Red Sox down a bit.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: I saw enough of Masahiro Tanaka in his first outing to believe he is the real deal. He will hold the Orioles down to three runs or less. The Yankees simply have to score more against Miguel Gonzalez.
- The Nationals over the Marlins: Well, the Marlins had a fun first week, but reality is settling in. Today should be another low scoring game. Jordan Zimmermann will pitch well as might Brad Hand.
- The Phillies over the Brewers: I made fun of Roberto Hernandez in his first start and he won. So yeah, me. I will go with him this time over Matt Garza. I don't expect Braun to hit three more homers.
- The Blue Jays over the Astros: Whatever happened to Brandon Morrow? And will he ever make it back to the promise he once showed? Maybe not, but he has a chance to win tonight against the Astros and Lucas Harrell.
- The Mets over the Braves: Here's what I think. I think Ervin Santana is going to make his debut for the Braves and it won't go well and Zack Wheeler is going to steal the show and have a great night. That's what I think.
- The Cubs over the Pirates: Not a real good choice here. But I guess that Jason Hammel has a chance to pitch well and that Wandy Rodgriguez will find a way to hurt himself.
- The Angels over the Mariners: Mariners fans have to be pretty excited as their team has started nicely out of the gate. I don't see them winning this game though. I see Garrett Richards being better than Roenis Elias.
- The Tigers over the Dodgers: Josh Beckett might start for the Dodgers. Or he might not. Who knows. That being the case, let's take Anibal Sanchez for the win.
And the Game of the Day
- The Giants over the Diamondbacks: Tim Lincecum is going to have a good day and the Giants will beat around Bronson Arroyo.
Yesterday: 9-5, Games of the Day: 4-3, Season: 69-46