Saturday was another pretty good day with only five incorrect out of fifteen. There were, of course, some surprises. I don't know what to make of Francisco Liriano and Stephen Strasburg not having success in their outings. The Red Sox and Yankees both losing was a surprise, the former for Clay Buchholz not pitching well and the latter for leaving ten men on base and scoring no runs. But overall, it was a good day.
This is the first full Sunday of the season and Sunday is always my favorite baseball day of the week. All the games are day games except the ESPN game. I love this as I can follow all the action and not have to stay up late!
- The Indians over the Twins: Justin Masterson just seems more reliable than Ricky Nolasco. The Indians are at home, though that fact is somewhat negated by how cold it has been still in that part of the country.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: I have no confidence in this pick because I have no confidence in CC Sabathia any more. Drew Hutchison will be hard for the Yankees to deal with, but a rookie with gas is still somewhat more susceptible than a veteran with skills.
- The Tigers over the Orioles: The Orioles are getting no starting pitching. I mean, none. They have not had a quality start or a starter with less than seven as an ERA. Justin Verlander over Chris Tillman.
- The Reds over the Mets: This is another mess of a pick. In my mind, Alfredo Simon is not a starting pitcher. But there he is for the Reds. On the other hand, Jonathon Niese has had all kinds of physical issues and has no innings behind him. Ick.
- The Marlins over the Padres: The Marlins have been rolling, so I will stick with them until the roll ends. Besides, Nathan Eovaldi has become a reliable starter. The Padres go with Ian Kennedy.
- The Braves over the Nationals: I really like Taylor Jordan and think he is going to be a star pitcher. But he is too unproven right now an Alex Wood was masterful his first time out. The Nats are catching the Braves at a bad time.
- The Red Sox over the Brewers: The Brewers have taken the first two games of this series and it is hard to imagine a sweep. Yovani Gallardo is a better bet at home than in Fenway Park and Jon Lester should pitch well.
- The Cardinals over the Pirates: I have not gotten one game of this series correct yet. This could be the day. Adam Wainwright has a much better chance of winning than Edinson Volquez.
- The Rays over the Rangers: Yu Darvish makes his first start. It won't matter. The Rays will still win with Alex Cobb having a bounce-back game.
- The Angels over the Astros: Have no fear in this one. The only time Scott Feldman pitches well is against the Yankees. So no trouble here. Jered Weaver needs to have a good game though.
- The White Sox over the Royals: Tough game to pick here as it will depend on which big-time starter has the better day. James Shields and Chris Sale. It should be a fun game to watch and could go either way.
- The Athletics over the Mariners: The Mariners are on fire and Erasmo Ramirez has been excellent. So why pick against them? Why else, man? I never pick against Sonny Gray, especially at home.
- The Rockies over the Diamondbacks: I have always wanted to see a supernova and Kirk Gibson will have to turn into one any day now. Ha! Brett Anderson needs to have a good game though and Wade Miley needs to be solved.
- The Dodgers over the Giants: What is it with this every other year thing with the Giants? This is the on year apparently. And they will give the Dodgers fits all year. But I like Zack Greinke in this one over a struggling Matt Cain.
And the Game of the Day (the most assured pick):
- The Phillies over the Cubs: Carlos Villanueva has already lost two games in relief and now he is starting? Uh oh. The pick has to be A.J. Burnett and the Phillies.
Yesterday: 10-5, Games of the Day: 3-2, Season: 49-30