Sunday was a dreadful day for the picks. All the positive gained over the past few days were wiped out in a morass of woefully incorrect picks. I was too wrapped up in teams that had been hot. All of them, except the Brewers lost. I never thought the Brewers would sweep Boston. Oh well. We all have bad days now and then, just ask Justin Masterson.
There are eight games on the schedule for Monday. Here are the picks:
- The Yankees over the Orioles: Like most games, this one will depend on which starting pitcher performs better than the other. Hiroki Kuroda must keep the score low and Ubaldo Jimenez needs to be very good for the Orioles. There is nothing earth-shattering for secrets here. One of them has to be good. I feel better about Kuroda.
- The Angels over the Astros: Jarred Cosart was very good against the Yankees in his first outing. C.J. Wilson was not very good in his first outing. So why pick it this way? Because Cosart won't stay that good and Wilson won't stay that bad.
- The Athletics over the Twins: Scott Kazmir was a great pickup for the A's and the kind of move they make all the time, those smart people. Kevin Correia is the kind of move the Twins make. Gutsy pitcher with more guile than talent.
- The Cardinals over the Reds: The Cardinals will want to bounce back from a tough series against the Pirates. Tony Cingrani will be an obstacle, but having Michael Wacha on the mound gives them an advantage.
- The Indians over the Padres: The Indians had a tough weekend that cannot be sitting well. The Padres salvaged the last game of their series against the Marlins. The poor Friars are a long way from home. Corey Kluber will bounce back in this one and Robbie Erlin loses his first start of the season.
- The Red Sox over the Rangers: Tanner Scheppers did not have a good time his first start and now faces the Red Sox lineup. Uh oh. John Lackey should fare better against the Rangers.
- The Rays over the Royals: It is hard to pick against Jason Vargas. Don't laugh. He's had a great spring and his first start was brilliant. But if Matt Moore is on, it won't be good enough.
- The Rockies over the White Sox: This game could be really high scoring. Jordan Lyles pitched well for the Rockies in his first start, but that was in Miami, not Coors. Felipe Paulino was decent for the White Sox after being not in the Majors for 2013. I don't know. This is like picking who will win a roller derby game.
I have decided to only pick Game of the Day picks for days with full schedules. Anybody have a problem with that?
Yesterday: 5-10, Games of the Day: 3-3, Season: 54-40