Only seven games ended up being played yesterday. The schedule was already short and then two postponements added to the lightness of the day. That was sort of good news for the Game Picks as they went 6-1 for the day. The only errant pick was the Royals beating the Rays, which was doubly bad news for the Rays as Matt Moore's elbow popped during the game. That's terrible news for them and for Rays fans.
Barring weather, we should be back to a full schedule today minus one. The picks:
- The Yankees over the Orioles: Wei-Yin Chen has had some good games against the Yankees, but their full compliment of switch hitters keeps them in there today. Ivan Nova will have to navigate a tough Orioles' lineup, but if he is on, he has the talent to do that.
- The Phillies over the Brewers: The Brewers just swept the Red Sox at Fenway. So they are rolling right? That always seems to be the case and then they get to the next series and poof. Kyle Kendrick over Kyle Lohse in the battle of the wily Kyles.
- The Giants over the Diamondbacks: It's nice to see Tim Hudson back on the West Coast where it all began. He had a good first start. I think he will win today over Trevor Cahill.
- The Rangers over the Red Sox: You just never know with Felix Doubront. I actually like Martin Perez in this match-up better. But it is a tough pick as the Rangers are not playing well.
- The Indians over the Padres: The opening schedule has the Padres playing all over the place. They are the vagabond team thus far. The Indians are hard to figure out and don't always win when you expect them to. Corey Kluber is my pick here over Tyson Ross who needs to suck up his command.
- The Blue Jays over the Astros: Mark Buehrle just rolls along and does his thing. A guy like Brett Oberholtzer could learn a lot from watching Buehrle.
- The Pirates over the Cubs: Isn't this the second match-up of the year already between Edwin Jackson and Charlie Morton? That's not fair. Who knows which of these two will sink to his usual low?
- The Rays over the Royals: This is a big treat tonight because of the debut for the season of Yordano Ventura. I'd like to say, "Book him, Yordano," but I want to see how he does first. Chris Archer is a much more known quantity...and quality.
- The Cardinals over the Reds: The Reds are not going to be very good this season, are they? They just don't seem to have a gel to them. I'm going with Lance Lynn over Homer Bailey.
- The Rockies over the White Sox: Don't look now, but the Rockies are on fire. They hardly seem like the last place team I predicted they would be. They are getting some pitching! Tonight, it will be Franklin Morales versus Carlos Quintana. They are pretty much the same pitcher.
- The Mariners over the Angels: The Angels will be a good test for James Paxton, who has the advantage of pitching at home in Seattle. Hector Santiago will probably be solid, so this game could go either way.
- The Tigers over the Dodgers: This should be a fascinating series. Tonight I have to go with Max Scherzer over Dan Haren.
- The Braves over the Mets: Okay, I am not going to pick on Aaron Harang anymore. Every time I do, he pitches out of his...well....you know...and makes me look stupid. So there you go, big boy, there's the pick. Now what are you going to do? Shrek Bartolo Colon goes for the Mets.
- The Nationals over the Marlins: You have to like Gio Gonzalez in this start much better than Henderson Alvarez. I think the Marlins will struggle on the road this season.
Yesterday: 6-1, Games of the Day: 3-3, Season: 60-41