Saturday, May 10, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Saturday: May 10, 2014

Another day, another day that wasn't very good. At least I finished a pick over .500 this time and at least I was .500 on extra-inning games. But days like yesterday are extremely frustrating and, of course, the Game of the Day was wrong again. Amazing. The Marlins' streak ended in a big way. I told you Jose Fernandez is not the same on the road. Why did I not listen to myself? Phil Hughes. Phil freakin' Hughes. That's all I'm going to say there.

It was a real shame that Yu Darvish lost his no-hitter with two out in the ninth. I get the feeling that Ian Kinsler on defense would have made a difference there. But he plays for the Tigers now.

Saturday's picks:
  • The Tigers over the Twins: The Twins are quite pesky and I need about five hands to count all the times I've been wrong picking against them this season. I would pick them today with Kyle Gibson on the mound. I would, that is, if Max Scherzer were not pitching for the Tigers.
  • The Dodgers over the Giants: I have a feeling this game might get testy around Puig. I could be wrong, but I feel it building. I like Zack Greinke over Matt Cain, who is coming back from his culinary cuts that caused him to miss a start.
  • The Orioles over the Astros: Miguel Rodriguez has not been very good this season. But he gets the Astros. Collin McHugh was brilliant for two games and then not ever since.
  • The Cardinals over the Pirates: Yesterday was a real bad loss for the Cardinals. They had that game and blew it. Today they have a favorable match-up with Lance Lynn versus Edinson Volquez. Will they take advantage?
  • The White Sox over the Diamondbacks: Woe is the Diamondbacks. Gosh, it's ugly. Are they really this bad? Will it ever turn around? Today they get the lefty, Jose Quintana, who is starting to put it together again. Wade Miley has been better of late though.
  • The Cubs over the Braves: I am going with Jeff Samardzija today. This is a tough guy here who is pitching great. He deserves a win. Ervin Santana is not this good. I repeat, he is not this good.
  • The Indians over the Rays: Erik Bedard is simply not what he used to be and is a good symptom of what is wrong with the Rays. I am going with Zach McAllister instead.
  • The Rockies over the Reds: This one is really tough. Alfredo Simon and Jordan Lyles have been two of the biggest surprises this year. They are a combined 8-1. One of them has to lose. I am going with Jordan Lyles because he has only given up three earned runs so far in three road starts.
  • The Brewers over the Yankees: CC Sabathia returns to the home of his glorious run with the Brewers all those years ago. He will be remembered warmly there and will get lots of Milwaukee love. But he is not the pitcher he was then. He is far from it. Kyle Lohse is extremely effective at home.
  • The Mets over the Phillies: This pick did not work out well yesterday. But I am a big fan of picking Dillon Gee. On the other hand, he hasn't pitched well over the Phillies through the years. So there is that. Kyle Kendrick goes for the Phillies.
  • The Red Sox over the Rangers: Martin Perez was my guy and I hardly ever picked against him. But he has really kronked over the last two outings. And the Red Sox hit lefties well. Jon Lester is the only question. How good will he be in Texas?
  • The Marlins over the Padres: Another pick that did not go well yesterday. Nathan Eovaldi is throwing serious gas. But he hasn't gotten the decision very often. Eric Stults confuses me.
  • The Athletics over the Nationals: I like Tanner Roark quite a bit. But I like Sonny Gray even more. The Nats get an extra bat in the lineup, but does that help in the Coliseum?
  • The Royals over the Mariners: Chris Young is pitching way over his head. But at 6'10" he pitches over most people's heads. His strikeout rate is like 4.5 per nine. This has to end soon. On the other hand, Yordano Venture is throwing great, especially on the road.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Angels over the Blue Jays: First off, I really like Tyler Skaggs. Secondly, J.A. Happ is pitching for the Blue Jays and is coming off the disabled list. That combination of things leans me in the Angels' direction.
Yesterday: 8-7, May: 67-57, Games of the Day: 16-20, Season: 300-232

No comments: