Sunday, May 04, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Sunday: May 4, 2014

Saturday reversed the day from Friday. After only getting five correct on the latter, only five were incorrect for the former. Even so, the Game of the Day feature was wrong again, which is infuriating. Julio Teheran was great but gave up three solo homers. And on the other side, Ryan Vogelsong had command issues, but was aided by two double-plays and a caught stealing. Another pick was aided this time from the Blue Jays' total inability to put a game away. That team's bullpen is a total disaster right now.

That brings us to Sunday, the best baseball day of the week. The picks:
  • The Indians over the White Sox: Andre Rienzo has been good thus far, but I have to go with Corey Kluber at home. The White Sox will miss Adam Eaton's energy while he is on the disabled list.
  • The Yankees over the Bay Rays: This game could go either way. Both teams should have their better relief pitchers back. A lot will depend on how the starters do. Erik Bedard and CC Sabathia are hard to trust either way. I'm going with the home team.
  • The Marlins over the Dodgers: I am worried over always depending on Jose Fernandez to be perfect at home. On some days, he won't. On the other hand, the Dodgers are starting Barney Stephen Fife, which doesn't make me want to pick them.
  • The Athletics over the Red Sox: John Lackey has had two brilliant starts in a row. But Sonny Gray is my guy! I have to go with my guy, right? It is a stupid reason to make a pick, but it's not as if I have these magic scientific formulas with this daily column.
  • The Braves over the Giants: This is how messed up my mind gets after weeks of doing this in the unpredictable game we call baseball. I figure Madison Bumgarner is a lock over Alex Wood and will strike out a dozen Braves. But then I start to thinking about Wainwright and the Cards and the last time I called a lock and remember this as a trap. Oy. Does anyone want to do this for me for a few weeks?
  • The Pirates over the Blue Jays: Are the Blue Jays a mess right now, or what? Dustin McGowan is the starter today, but he would solve some problems if he were in the bullpen. On the other hand, Edinson Volquez could give up at least four homers today with his history.
  • The Twins over the Orioles: Heaven help me, I am picking Phil Hughes to win at home. The big ballpark should help him and the fact that Miguel Gonzalez is as unpredictable as him should help too.
  • The Tigers over the Royals: Jason Vargas has pitched somewhat well against the Tigers in his career, winning two of his three decisions. But I just can't get myself to go there with Justin Verlander on the mound for the Tigers.
  • The Astros over the Mariners: Collin McHugh has been brilliant in his first two starts, but the key is if the Astros can score anything. Brandon Maurer can be had. But this is far from a lock pick.
  • The Angels over the Rangers: I never seem to get it right when Yu Darvish is pitching. Hey! Did yu know that Darvish's real first name is Sefat? I am going with the Angels and Tyler Skaggs.
  • The Padres over the Diamondbacks: The Dbacks are playing better lately. But I like Tyson Ross at home over Wade Miley in this one. It all depends on if the Padres can score.
  • The Reds over the Brewers: I like Kyle Lohse better at home than in a band box like the one in Cincinnati. On the other hand, I know that it's almost midnight and Alfredo Simon is going to turn back into a pumpkin. Both pitchers have great records, so it could go either way.
  • The Mets over the Rockies: Yeah, this might be dumb. I just don't like picking guys who are making their first starts of the season like Jhoulys Chacin is for the Rockies. Dillon Gee is very good, but will he be at Coors?
  • The Cardinals over the Cubs: Both Lance Lynn and Jason Hammel are 4-1. Hammel will be a nice flip for the Cubs at the trade deadline. The Cards aren't scoring and Cardinal Nation is in an uproar. But the fans should relax. The Cards will be fine. Wait and see.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Nationals over the Phillies: Every sensibility would figure that Gio Gonzalez should be better than Roberto Hernandez. But, again, after doing this for so long, such sensibility are rubbed raw by the nature of the game.
Yesterday: 10-5, Month: 23-18, Games of the Day: 14-16, Season: 256-192

No comments: