Saturday, May 03, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Saturday: May 3, 2014

After all these years, I am playing in my first fantasy baseball league. I was talked into it by my colleagues over at It's About the Money, Stupid.  And I am in fifth place and not doing too badly. But one thing I've noticed is that if I have a really good night in the league, I have a really bad day of picking baseball games. And so it was yesterday.

Friday was a brutal day for the picks with only five correct picks out of fifteen. Everything was bad. The Astros got a run in the eighth and walked off in the eleventh. Sergio Santos is the worst closer in baseball and he cost me another pick. And it all started early. Adam Wainwright was a lock, I said. Nothing is a lock in the game of baseball.

There is always tomorrow in baseball though. Here are Saturday's picks:
  • The Cardinals over the Cubs: I have been accused again of jinxing the Cardinals by picked them to win. Hey, folks, I'm just an old guy with a computer. Guess what? I am picking them again, so there. Michael Wacha over Jake Arrieta gentille Arrieta.
  • The Yankees over the Rays: Yeah, there was last night. And both teams have bullpens that are deeply gassed. That said, who is a better risk of going deep in the game, Masahiro Tanaka or Jake Odorizzi? That's what I thought.
  • The Red Sox over the Athletics: The A's have a team OPS of fifty points lower against left-handed pitching than the other way around. Jon Lester should have a good day at home. Tommy Milone was really good his last time out though.
  • The Orioles over the Twins: Picking Ubaldo Jimenez to win yesterday against an AL Central team was one of my best calls in a bad day. So I am sticking with the O's and Wei-Yin Chen over Chick Kevin Correia.
  • The Mariners over the Astros: I'll keep making this pick until it is correct. Heh. Hisashi Iwakuma is back on the hill for the M's and Dallas Keuchel goes for the Astros.
  • The Indians over the White Sox: Scott Carroll is a nice story and I root for him. He deserves whatever success he gets. But my gut is telling me that Justin Masterson has a good day and the Indians are tough at home.
  • The Pirates over the Blue Jays: The Blue Jays cannot close out games, that much is obvious. Francisco Liriano is due for a dominant start and a lot will depend on what kind of day R.A. Dickey has.
  • The Nationals over the Phillies: Every time I pick against A.J. Burnett, I get burned. But Tanner Roark is 9-1 in his brief career and has not given up a run in his last two starts. That is too hard to ignore.
  • The Tigers over the Royals: The Tigers simply have the Royals' number. And even though Danny Duffy can be dominant if he is on, I don't think he will be. I am worried about picking the Emoticon: Drew Smyly.
  • The Dodgers over the Marlins: The Marlins have been incredible at home. And I think they will hit Paul Maholm. However, I never like guys just coming off a long DL term like Jacob Turner is.
  • The Reds over the Brewers: If Yovani Gallardo was at home, I would pick this the other way. But the game is in Cincinnati and therefore, I like Johnny Cueto much better.
  • The Rockies over the Mets: This is one tough game to pick. Franklin Morales has been all over the place this year. Sometimes he is great. Others, not. Jenrry Mejia has a dynamic arm for the Mets, but how will it play at Coors? Tough one.
  • The Padres over the Diamondbacks: The Dbacks are playing better, but poor Brandon McCarthy is 0-5. Ian Kennedy has only given up one run in three of his six starts. I like his chances at home (though he has pitched better on the road).
  • The Angels over the Rangers: Doesn't it seem that the Rangers can't beat the A's, but the Angels can't beat the Rangers? Maybe today will be different with big Garrett Richards on the hill. Matt Harrison has to navigate against two of the toughest right-handed batters in baseball right now.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Braves over the Giants: Ryan Vogelsong has been pretty brutal on the road and Julio Teheran can be dominant. So that's the pick.
Yesterday: 5-10 (oof), May: 13-13, Games of the Day: 14-15, Season: 246-187

No comments: