Thank goodness! I finally had a good night of picking! With the one postponement I went 9-5. Once again, I came out on the wrong end of the Kershaw / Bumgarner match-up. And, I didn't see the Twins and Astros winning again. But they did. Otherwise, things went really well.
William's humpday picks:
- The Reds over the Brewers: On the one hand, the Reds have Michael Lorenzen making his MLB debut on the mound. His stats in the minors don't bowl you over. On the other hand, Matt Garza is not exactly a sure thing either. I'm going with the Reds in a slugfest.
- The Tigers over the Twins: Two former Yankee pitchers go at it tonight in a match-up of Shane Greene versus Phil Hughes. That is fun in and of itself, but until Hughes gets the long ball under control, I'll go with the Tigers.
- The White Sox over the Orioles: In what will be the most surreal game of the season, these two teams will play today with no crowds and an empty stadium. I'm going with Jeff Samardzija over Ubaldo Jimenez.
- The Astros over the Padres: Okay, Astros, you win...and win...and win. And I'm tired of not getting the message. Dallas Keuchel over Andrew Cashner.
- The Royals over the Indians: I'm tired of getting this one wrong too. The Indians have not even shown up here for this series despite having their best pitchers lined up. Yordano Venture must be appealing his suspension and is pitching. I hope he behaves. Danny Salazar will face him.
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: R.A. Dickey has been a batting practice pitcher this season. Rick Porcello has fared only slightly better.
- The Marlins over the Mets: Bartolo Colon is 4-0. Mat Latos is 0-3. Something has to break here. It's a trap to pick the Mets based on this match-up. The Marlins love fastballs and I'm going with them.
- The Nationals over the Braves: Last night's big win for the Nats could be a turning point. At least it is something to build on. I like Jordan Zimmermann over Alex Wood.
- The Cubs over the Pirates: Gerrit Cole has been fabulous and Kyle Hendricks has not been. But the Cubs are having their way with the Pirates and will sweep tonight. This has become a fun team to watch.
- The Mariners over the Rangers: Wandy Rodriguez had a good debut for the Rangers, which is cool since nobody else wanted him. But he runs into Felix Hernandez today. Sorry about that, Wandy. King Felix has struggled in the past in Arlington though...
- The Cardinals over the Phillies: Oh no! I have to pick against Aaron Harang! That has always killed me. But logic says that the Cards are the better team and Carlos Martinez has an electric arm.
- The Diamondbacks over the Rockies: Josh Collmenter has had two good starts in a row and the Rockies have been flat lately. Jordan Lyles is capable of a good game. Tough call here.
- The Angels over the Athletics: Chaka Jesse Hahn is one of my favorites, but I also like Matt Shoemaker. I also like the Angels' offense better than the A's right now.
- The Dodgers over the Giants: Zack Greinke will need to be efficient and give the Dodgers some length. If he does that, he should win over Ryan Vogelsong. But these Giants never seem to die, do they?
And the Pick of the Day:
- The Yankees over the Rays: The Yankees are on a serious roll and have not lost to the Rays yet this season. They face Drew Smyly (The Emoticon) and have their best pitcher, Michael Pineda on the mound.
Yesterday: 9-5, Season: 150-156, Picks of the Day: 13-10