And in a special category all by itself was the Texas/Toronto game. The pitching matchup last night was supposed to be the matchup on Wednesday night. On Wednesday, the Fan KNEW that Millwood was going to beat the Blue Jays. KNEW it and predicted it. But the Fan was swayed by a faithful reader. You know who you are [[smile]]. That faithful reader was so strong in conviction that when the matchup was delayed a day, the Fan switched the pick in the reader's favor. Like the buzzer at the Laker's game: "EHHHHHHHTTTT."
Ah well, it's all fun and games. There are no gigantic consequences involved. Life goes on and the Fan is still an amazing guy after all. Good father, good husband. Faith-filled, law-abiding citizen. With that attitude in mind, here comes another day of PATHETIC picks! Egads! And it's more interleague play too.
- The Twins over the Cubs: Hard to decide which team is worse to its potential. Both should have won many more games this year than they have.
- The Orioles over the Braves: In a battle of prospects, here's thinking that the O's Berken will beat the Braves' Hanson.
- The Tigers over the Pirates: Predicting that Porcello will stifle the weak-hitting Pirates who are countering with Snell. So far, all picks have been American League. Trend?
- The Indians over the Cardinals: The Indians have climbed out of the basement and even have seagulls on their side. How can you pick against them?
- The Phillies over the Red Sox: Blanton has been good. And maybe the Red Sox will have a let down after wiping the deck with the Yankees.
- The Yankees over the Mets: The Yankees will take all of the frustrations out on the Mets, score a million runs and cut Livan into eight little pieces. Chamberlain will probably hit somebody and we'll have the second coming of Clemens/Piazza minus the 'roid rage.
- The Blue Jays over the Marlins: Halladay is not mortal. He is an immortal riding the seas with reins around the Marlins' torso, riding them like some Sea World show person.
- The Bay Rays over the Nationals: The scheduling gods must like the Bay Rays to throw them this interleague series.
- The Dodgers over the Rangers: Padilla saved his job with his last outing, so he can go back to being slothful in this start.
- The Brewers over the White Sox: Suppon has made this picker feel like an idiot several times. So now the idiot will pick Suppon to win which will probably turn out like the Pavano pick earlier in the week.
- The Reds over the Royals: Trey Hillman will find another interesting way to lose a game for his team.
- The Rockies over the Mariners: Ubaldo has been coming on strong lately. Washburn has been good too, but will go with power over finesse.
- The Astros over the Diamondbacks: The non-interleague series of the week. Hampton will pitch a strong game and go two for four at the plate.
- The Padres over the Angels: Why do the Angels' struggles feel good? Is the Fan some kind of sadist or something?
- The Giants over the A's: Interesting matchup of Lincecum versus Mazzaro. Will go with the experienced one.