As yesterday unfolded, the Fan did a lot of laughing. Yes, the Yankees pick was correct. Yes, the Padres, Cardinals and a couple others was correct. But Marquis lost. The Cubs won a game with the equally beguiling Dempster. Danny Haran lost to the Nationals, who have somehow managed two put together a rather long winning streak. Ian Snell made a start for the Mariners. The Fan was rooting for him. He walked six batters in the first inning. Yup. Lots of laughing. It sure beats crying.
Let's try this again. Oh boy:
- The Twins over the Tigers: The cycle begins again. But Baker really should be better than Jarrod Washburn. He just should be. Really.
- The Blue Jays over the Orioles: Roy Halladay is pitching. PLEASE be a lock!
- The Cardinals over the Pirates: Pineiro should beat Zack Duke.
- The Marlins over the Phillies: Not only has Josh Johnson been a very good pitcher, but he's hit three homers. Of course he only has six or seven hits total, but when he connects...
- The Diamondbacks over the Nationals: Come on, this Nats' winning streak has to end some time.
- The Brewers over the Astros: Hate to pick against Wandy, but he was hurt last time out. Which is worrisome.
- The White Sox over the Indians: Not feeling too up about this pick. But it didn't feel any better the other way either.
- The Royals over the A's: Two young pitchers: Hochever versus Anderson. Anderson has some great stuff, but Hochever is maturing at last.
- The Cubs over the Rockies: Wells has been consistent and seems to be the Cubs' good luck charm.
- The Angels over the Rangers: As much as the Fan would want it not to happen, there is no way that Holland beats Lackey.
- The Mets over the Padres: Santana versus Stauffer. Stauffer makes great frozen dinners, but Santana should win.
- The Giants over the Reds: When is the last time Harang pitched well?
- The Braves over the Dodgers: Vazquez over Stults. If the Braves snuck into the wildcard, they would be dangerous.
- The Bay Rays over the Mariners: Kazmir has looked like his old self lately and Rowland-Smith doesn't have an old self.
- The Red Sox over the Yankees: The Red Sox take out their frustrations on Andy Pettitte and Lester shuts the Yanks down to salvage one game out of this disaster.
Yesterday: 5-10 (still laughing)
Week: 42-52 (still laughing)
Month: 51-58 (starting to cry)