Today is another day and the goal is excellence. The Yankees have a big series with the Red Sox. It's a bit anticlimactic as they have a 3 1/2 game lead in the division. But it would be something if the Yankees can't beat the Red Sox this year. They are 0 for the season so far. It's a short schedule since it's a Thursday, but not as short as usual. Here goes:
- The Twins over the Indians: Come on! The Fan keeps picking the Twins and keeps getting burned. But each day, the Fan sees a matchup like Carmona versus Blackburn and thinks they can't lose this game, right? But they will because the Fan can't win with the Twins.
- The Marlins over the Nationals: Volstad has been great lately. The Marlins lost to the Nationals last night and did so in uninspired fashion. They have so many nice pieces, but need a killer instinct.
- The Phillies over the Rockies: Picked against the Phillies yesterday and it was stupid. Won't be stupid two days in a row, especially with Lee pitching.
- The Orioles over the Tigers: Just can't get over how ordinary the Tigers look these days.
- The White Sox over the Angels: Don't know how the White Sox do it. But they keep on doing it.
- The Rangers over the A's: Hunter versus Cahill in a battle of rookies. The Rangers have really blown this series so far.
- The Diamondbacks over the Pirates: Scherzer over Hart.
- The Yankees over the Red Sox: The law of averages say the Yankees have to win one of these games and against Smoltz seems to be their best bet. Chamberlain goes for the Yanks.
- The Mariners over the Royals: The Royals will take it on the Chen.
- The Mets over the Padres: Praying to the Livan gods that this is one of his good games and not one of his clunkers.
- The Dodgers over the Braves: Who made this schedule for the Braves? They have been all over the country lately and back and forth at that.
Yesterday: 7-7 (forgot to pick a game, which was fortunate as it would have been a loss)
Week: 27-26 (can you say mediocre?)
Month: 36-32 (yes we can)