*Posnanski asterisk: The Fan once used "Mediocre" in a prayer and his son, then a young boy, interrupted his father and asked earnestly, "What's the middle of an egg have to do with anything?"
So, anyway, Thursday is another day with a pretty good slate of games considering it's a travel day. Let's see if we can't do better today:
- The Brewers over the Pirates: Braun is absolutely killing the ball, Wolf is pitching and the Pirates are reeling. All that adds up to a Brew Crew victory.
- The Indians over the Twins: Talbot has been good so far for the Indians. Baker has been struggling for the Twins. The Indians salvage one game of the series.
- The Yankees over the Athletics: Braden has been really good but so has Sabathia. The Yankees aren't even clicking on all cylinders yet and are still 11-3.
- The Nationals over the Rockies: Yeah, the Fan knows. But after getting burned twice in row by Livan, call him sensitive to put his finger in that light socket again.
- The Mets over the Cubs: Santana versus Gorzelanny. Enough said.
- The Reds over the Dodgers: This seems like a dumb pick, but sticking with Leake over Padilla. Manny is back and is killing the ball. Hmmm...
- The Braves over the Phillies: Lowe gives up four runs a game. Moyer gives up five. That math adds up for the Braves.
- The Rangers over the Red Sox: The poor Rangers are 0 for the American League East. But Lewis will beat Buchholz.
- The Marlins over the Astros: The Fan isn't exactly excited to pick Sanchez to win for the Marlins, but would be even less excited to pick Paulino.
- The Tigers over the Angels: In Verlander we trust. In Saunders we do not.
And the GAME OF THE DAY (whose idea was this?)
- The White Sox over the Bay Rays: Peavy rises to the occasion and beats one Mr. Shields.
Games of the Day: 3-3