Eight teams have Monday off so there are eleven games on the schedule. Here are Monday's picks:
- The Mets over the Pirates. Gee is pitching for the Mets. That sure is weird to say. McDonald is pitching for the Pirates.
- The Royals over the Athletics: Hochever over Cramer who is making his debut.
- The Reds over the Diamdondbacks: Enright has been great but Arroyo and the Reds win at home.
- The Orioles over the Blue Jays: Matusz has been a totally different pitcher in the second half. Rzepcynski has been pretty consistently ineffective.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Blanton should have no trouble beating Mr. Miller.
- The Yankees over the Bay Rays: A playoff match up here with Sabathia versus Price. Both need to come up big. Only one of them will. If they both do, the Yankees bullpen wins it.
- The Braves over the Nationals: Derek Lowe should be Maya, whose era is higher than the translation of his name.
- The Red Sox over the Mariners: Lester has been puzzling at times. But he should beat Fister and the weak Mariners.
- The Astros over the Brewers: Tough game to call here. Both pitchers have been red hot (Narveson and Myers). Going with the Astros at home and against the Brewers who aren't hitting.
- The Padres over the Rockies: Francis is the Rockies weak link. The Padres are at home.
And the Game of the Day
- The Cardinals over the Cubs: Garcia goes for his 14th win and the Cubs are throwing out a not-ready-for-prime-time pitcher whose name the Fan cannot spell. Jeff S., we'll call him for now.
Games of the Day: 77-66