But the most wonderful news of the day was the Game of the Day feature finally getting a break thanks to an unbelievable Cliff Lee performance against the helpless Nationals. The correct pick gives that feature a long way to go, but at least the bleeding stopped for a night.
Friday's games features some fun match ups. Let's take a look:
- The Indians over the Orioles: First, the Orioles had their hearts ripped out by the Yankees. Second, after a late game, they had to travel to Cleveland. Third, Justin Masterson has been brilliant for the Indians thus far. Lastly, Zach Britton has been really, really good thus far, but could hit a bump in the road here.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: Roy Oswalt should allow fewer runs than Vazquez, who looked a lot like the pitcher who pitched for the Yankees last year.
- The Yankees over the Rangers: Ivan Nova has never faced the Rangers, so there will be some surprise factor there. Matt Harrison has pitched beautifully for the Rangers but has a real bad history against the Yankees.
- The Brewers over the Nationals: The Brewers are on a roll. Narveson was great last time out and Gorzelanny not so much. The Nationals are having trouble scoring runs.
- The Bay Rays over the Twins: Blackburn has been real good so far. Wade Davis has been so-so. But the Twins are scuffling of late, Mauer is out indefinitely and the Bay Rays are coming off a thrilling win.
- The Reds over the Pirates: The Pirates had a decent start to the season, but are falling fast and look feeble suddenly. Bronson Arroyo has been terrific. Morton has looked good too, but his stats are a bit deceiving.
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: Cecil and Buchholz have both struggled, but we have to look at history here. Cecil has a terrible history against the Red Sox and Buchholz has a terrific history against the Blue Jays.
- The Braves over the Mets: The Mets are as flat as a team can get. Collins is not the right manager. Lowe over Carrasco.
- The Astros over the Padres: You know neither team can hit when Moseley and Norris put up all those goose eggs yesterday. Harang is 2-0 at home but this is his first road start. Going with Happ who was good last time out.
- The White Sox over the Angels: Jared Weaver has been amazing thus far. But the White Sox have a potent line up and are the home team. Taking a flier on Humber.
- The Royals over the Mariners: This Fan still hopes Bedard has a good comeback season. But the Mariners are futile at this point and the Royals are on fire. Hochevar with the win.
- The Rockies over the Cubs: Garza has had homeritis so far and that's not a good thing against the high-flying Rockies at home. Chacin with the win.
- The Tigers over the Athletics: McCarthy was terrific his last time out and Porcello has really struggled. But the Fan has to go with the Tigers ability to score over the A's lack therein.
- The Cardinals over the Dodgers: The Cards are starting to thump the ball and Lohse is having a nice bounce-back season. The Dodgers have Jon Garland making his first start of the year. That won't go well.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Giants over the Diamondbacks: Matt Cain does what he does and the Giants score enough off Daniel Hudson to win.
Games of the Day: 5-10