There were a few dumb things. The Pirates blew a save situation or Morton would have gotten the win as predicted. The Fan totally missed the White Sox/Bay Rays game. How does that happen? And once again, the Game of the Day was wrong. That's five straight bad picks for the game the Fan predicts to be a lock. And apologies have to be sent to the Fan's Cardinal blogging buddies as that was a brutal loss as Franklin blew yet another save. But that made the Fan's pick right.
Since the week ended so well, let's see if Sunday can start off the new week with a bang:
- The Tigers over the Royals: The Tigers have been terribly disappointing this season. They have to start winning games that Verlander doesn't pitch. Thinking today that Porcello should out-pitch Hochevar.
- The Mets over the Nationals: The Mets continue to be rewarded for gutsy pitching signings as Chris Young wins his second game over Jason Marquis.
- The Rockies over the Pirates: James McDonald starts for the Pirates in his second start coming off a strained oblique. But he isn't stretched out yet, putting more pressure on a stretched Pirate bullpen. The Rockies win behind Chacin.
- The Braves over the Phillies: Simply like Derek Lowe's chances over Cole Hamels with the Braves being home.
- The Rangers over the Orioles: Jeremy Guthrie missed a start due to pneumonia and could still be weak. Holland should silence the Orioles' bats.
- The Marlins over the Astros: Happ has gone back to being Happless after pitching well last year. Anibal Sanchez wins the game.
- The Brewers over the Cubs: Casey Coleman isn't a bad replacement for the injured Randy Wells, but Gallardo should out-pitch him and get a hit along the way himself.
- The Twins over the Athletics: Brandon McCarthy shouldn't be able to stop the Twins' offense and Home Run Baker doesn't have too many homer hitters in Oakland's dugout to worry about.
- The Bay Rays over the White Sox: The Fan has always liked Jeff Niemann and keeps waiting for him to break out. Perhaps it will be this game with a win over Gavin Floyd.
- The Angels over the Blue Jays: Weaver should have no trouble with beating Jo-Jo Reyes, who was terrible in his first start.
- The Padres over the Dodgers: Never been a big Fan of John Ely, who gets the start for the Dodgers. Harang should win.
- The Cardinals over the Giants: The Cardinals have serious bullpen issues, especially at the back end. So Kyle Lohse really needs a good game to beat Barry Zito. The Cards have to hit sooner or later.
- The Mariners over the Indians: The heart is in the way on this pick as this Fan is really rooting for this Bedard comeback. He beats Tomlin, who was good his first time out. Beware of this pick.
- The Yankees over the Red Sox: Sabathia was brilliant last time out. Beckett, not so much. Are the Red Sox really 1-7?
And the Game of the Day:
- The Reds over the Diamondbacks: Leake pitched well his last time out. Saunders is a guy who will never get a pick in this space. Ever.
Yesterday: 12-4! Yay!
Last Week: 45-41 Whew!
Games of the Day: 3-7 Oh come on now!