With all this boiling inside the Fan's head, the thoughts turn to Thursday and its short schedule that still features eleven games thanks in part to a make-up double-header in Minneapolis. And a glance at that games sees a tangled web. It's not going to be easy:
- The Pirates over the Giants: This game is impossible to pick. The current Pirates are a plucky bunch. They don't just roll over and die like so many Pirate teams in this decade. Karstens was certainly plucky last time out. He faces old Pirate friend, Ryan Vogelsong, who gets an emergency start for the Giants. Vogelsong started way back in 2006 for the Pirates and it didn't go well. He then went to Japan and Korea and now is asked to beat his old team. Seems too long for the odds.
- The Mariners over the Tigers: Pineda versus Penny. Penny was super his last time out. Pineda is one of the big stories of 2011.
- The Bay Rays sweep the Twins: Hellickson will beat Blackburn and then Niemann beats Swarzak making a start for the still Mauer-less and toothless Twins.
- The Blue Jays over the Rangers: The Jays get to Ogando and Brandon Morrow comes up huge in his second game back from injury.
- The Red Sox over the Orioles: Lester pulls the Red Sox out of last place and beats Bergesen, who will be ground down to dust by the fourth.
- The Yankees over the White Sox: You can't pick against Sabathia at home, can you? Jackson is so unpredictable though. He could be brilliant or he could suck. The Yankees may have to play without Teixeira.
- The Indians over the Royals: The Fan is sooooo sick of these two teams playing over and over. Carmona over Davies. The Royals need to call up Hosmer or something.
- The Mets over the Nationals: Might as well ride this Mets' wave a while. Capuano over Livan, who seems to have a scandal on his hands.
- The Cardinals over the Astros: Kyle McClellan and Nelson Figueroa are two pitchers heading in opposite directions.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Cubs over the Diamondbacks: Dempster and Enright have been among the worst starting pitchers of the 2011 season. But picking the one of them that doesn't have a history of this kind of sucktitude.
Games of the Day: 14-14