What a crappy day of game picking yesterday was! Everything went wrong. Bullpens blew it (more on that later). Perfect game pitchers got bombed. You know it's a bad day when you pick the Royals to win and that is one of the few picks to be correct for a day. Ugh! Let's not even talk about it anymore.
In fact, this picker is simply going to launch into Friday's picks and try to forget all about it:
- The Angels over the Indians: What's to say about the Angels that hasn't already been said? Money can't buy good starts as the Angels are already nine games behind the Rangers. But the one thing that has been constant is that Jered Weaver goes out and wins every start. Today will be no different. Justin Masterson gets in the way only slightly.
- The Phillies over the Cubs: It is still hard getting used to the fact that the Phillies simply aren't a good team. But Roy Halladay is still great. Going with him over Paul Maholm of the Cubs.
- The Yankees over the Tigers: Yes, it is Justin Verlander. But Ivan Nova just wins and wins. There is a sneaking feeling that this pick is just wishful thinking.
- The Orioles over the Athletics: Somebody please let this picker know when these Orioles stop being as good as they have been. Jake Arrieta beats the snake bit Brandon McCarthy.
- The Marlins over the Diamondbacks: Despite a bullpen that keeps biting them in the butt, the Marlins should beat Joe Saunders if Carlos Zambrano pitches as well as he has been. Plus, the Marlins are at home.
- The Astros over the Reds: Wandy Rodriguez has been otherworldly. Mike Leake has been leaking. But Wandy could have trouble in that bandbox in Cincinnati. We'll see.
- The Braves over the Pirates: A.J. Burnett will keep the game close, but the Pirates won't score enough against Tommy Hanson to allow Burnett to win his second start.
- The Rangers over the Bay Rays: Two pitchers with 3-0 records. One of them has to lose. Matt Harrison versus James Shields. The Rangers are at home.
- The White Sox over the Red Sox: John Danks quiets the hot Red Sox' lineup which is bad news for Daniel Bard as he hasn't gotten much run support this season.
- The Twins over the Royals: Instead of bringing up a starting pitcher to replace Danny Duffy in the rotation, the Royals will play the reliever game. Dumb. Carl Pavano is the beneficiary of that decision.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: Yovani Gallardo has been brutal against the Cards who seem to have his number. Jake Westbrook bends but doesn't often break. Cards win at home.
- The Rockies over the Mets: What's to make of this mess? Drew Pomeranz has yet to show his potential at the big league level. And the Mets will call up minor league pitcher, Chris Schwinden, to start the game. At Coors. Not a fun place for a debut.
- The Dodgers over the Nationals: As much as this picker loves Ross Detwiler, you can't pick him against Clayton Kershaw. Not at home in L.A. anyway.
- The Padres over the Giants: Cory Luebke is this picker's man-crush. The Giants have yet to announce a starter. Uh. What?
- The Blue Jays over the Mariners: What happened to this Blue Jays' team? They are better than this. Ricky Romero improves to 4-0 over Blake Beavan.
Games of the Day: 14-7