When the San Francisco Giants won the first game of the double-header against the Mets, this picker knew it was going to be a good day. When the Yankees surged into a good-sized lead against the Rangers, it was confirmed. And about the only damper on a good day of picking was Jason Motte (the Hoopla) blowing a save to give the Cubs a win, spoiling a great effort by Jaime Garcia. The Royals pick was also wrong, but their losing streak is at the point where you have to pick them every day until they win a game because of the law of averages. But if you read Rany's rant, perhaps even that strategy is misguided.
But, yes, it was a very good day. Too bad this foolish weather spoiled a Jamie Moyer start in Pittsburgh. But, the Rockies won't skip him and that match up from yesterday is among today's fifteen games to be picked. Here they are:
- The Pirates over the Rockies: Same two pitchers as scheduled for yesterday. Still think Correia out-pitches Moyer.
- The Royals over the Indians: Aw, heck, Rany, got to keep picking the Royals until they win. After all, Jonathan Sanchez, the modern day Oliver Perez, is the last Royal pitcher to win a game. Derek Lowe goes for the Indians.
- The Tigers over the Mariners: Was leaning on taking Jason Vargas over Max Scherzer. But another sip of coffee cleared out the insanity.
- The Blue Jays over the Orioles: Henderson Alvarez is pretty good. Tommy Hunter is good about once in every fifth start. This one could go either way.
- The Bay Rays over the Angels: Don't understand the Hideki Matsui deal unless they have already tired of Luke Scott's act. But anyway, David Price should beat Ervin Santana.
- The Marlins over the Mets: The other Santana, Johan hasn't won a game yet. He goes against Josh Johnson, who hasn't been the stud that we thought he would be. Will today be different with some extra rest? Still thinking about Jason Bay's goofy dive and that ball shooting out of his glove. Not a pleasant memory.
- The Giants over the Reds: Mat Latos, see Matt Cain? That is what an ace looks like.
- The Yankees over the Rangers: Hiroki Kuroda schools Yu Darvish on how Japanese pitchers are supposed to pitch. The patient Yankees wait Darvish out and send him home early.
- The Cubs over the Cardinals: Anyone else worried about Adam Wainwright? He simply isn't the same. The only way the Cards win this game is if they score very often on Jeff Samardzija, which is possible.
- The Brewers over the Astros: Nothing like home brewing for the Brewers. Though they almost blew yesterdays' game against these plucky Astros. Bud Norris is a pretty good pitcher. But Randy Wolf showed encouraging signs his last time out.
- The Phillies over the Diamondbacks: The D-backs will soon tire of Josh Collmenter. He has one or two starts left. If Vance Worly ever pitched against Yu Darvish, would it be a Worling Darvish?
- The Athletics over the White Sox: Really like this Tommy Milone kid and think he'll out-pitch Gavin Floyd. Then again, can the A's offense score a run?
- The Nationals over the Padres: Gio Gonzalez enjoys that big ballpark in San Diego and the Nats squeak out some runs against Clayton Richard, who obviously pitches better at home than on the road.
- The Braves over the Dodgers: The Braves aren't taking any crap from their pitchers. See what happened to Jair Jurrjens, Mike Minor? That could be you next. Nah. Minor is good. He wins over Aaron Harang who should get harangued by the Braves' hitters.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Red Sox over the Twins: Could the Twins have come at a better time for the Red Sox? Josh Beckett over Nick Blackburn.
Games of the Day: 12-6